The Nashville Knack: Tom Chaplin

The Nashville Knack: Tom Chaplin

"Life's going to bring you glory."

297
The Nashville Knack: Tom Chaplin
Jesse Wilder

Where does one begin to describe the infinite potential of singer-songwriter and guitarist Tom Chaplin? When he steps out onto a stage, not only does his music capture your complete attention, but his story carries conviction. Tom recently released his album The Wave, which expresses the crazy journey that he has been on since his time in college, but let's begin where his life started.

Tom was born in Hastings, England, raised in a family founded in academics. Tom's dad was the headmaster of Vinehall School, which is a co-educational school aimed for 2 to 13 year-olds. After 13, Tom went to Tonbridge School, which is aimed for 13 to 18 year-olds.

In the midst of all of this high-level academia, Tom was not exactly interested majoring in math or science. Tom was a creative type. He described his interests of being a musician inscribed in his DNA. He loved turning what essentially was just noise into something beautiful. To sum up this notion, music was and is the connection to his life.

In response for his passion, Tom's parents handed him a flute. The flute, as with most classical instruments, is perceived as complex and of higher class than say, a guitar. Tom took his flute, and became the a Grade A flute player, which is the highest level possible of ability.

He picked up guitar along his journey through school, and found himself in a cover band called the Lotus Eaters. For Tom, this was the first steps in forming what would later be Keane. Keane was not popular during the start of his years at the University of Edinburg. Tom found himself partying a lot getting caught up in a scene that did not fit him.

Tom and the band moved to London to push their music, and was picked up by a producer in Paris. Their producer was fantastic as his job, but the band soon found out that he loved guns and heroin. Every day, their producer would leave with his guns, increasing in size as time went on. He had enough weaponry to start a small war, which scared the band into taking their music off of his hard drive back to England.

Despite being terrified, the band had a high quality album to promote. In 2004 Keane made their big debut cutting a deal with Island Records. Tom said that during the signing process the the band would be a multi-platinum. It was something hard for Tom to imagine until it had happened.

The band grew in size over the years producing hits like: "Somewhere Only We Know" and "Everybody's Changing." Of course, every story of success has its bumps. Tom went down a road that very few people come back after entering.

Tom's habits from college never faded which led to an addiction to cocaine. This is not a subject to judge or take lightly. Tom struggled with his addiction knowing the consequences after each hit, but that is the power of cocaine. He found himself against a wall in a very dark place.

The word "sorry" became very repetitious in his life, but there was a moment of realization for Tom that would turn his life around. In the song "Worthless Words" he describes the spark that provoked change in his life. "A soft, sweet whisper. Be careful where you binge." In this moment he was against a wall, clinching his chest, and gasping for air. He knew his ways had to change. The words "I'm sorry" became truth and not an excuse from that point.

The most powerful part of this story is that he chose his wife, child, family, and friends over addiction. The power of love in his life pushed him to throw out his old ways, and be who he was supposed to be. Tom spent a lot of time recovering; growing closer with his wife and daughter; being an all around better person to everyone.

Tom saw clearly after this struggle, and was able to take his experiences to words on paper, to notes, and, ultimately, a solo album. The Wave crashed and formed calm waters in Tom's life.

The power of Tom's story is heard in every lyric of his new album. I could see in the eyes of his audience at his show at The City Winery in Nashville, Tennessee, I could feel it in the words he spoke to me in our interview, and now I hope you are able to see the power of music by Tom's story.

In the words of Tom, "Life's going to bring you glory. There is another side of the story." His story is what has brought him where he is today. A moving narrative has the power to change perspectives. No matter where you are in your life reading this, I want you to take something from this. We are all human. We make mistakes. Be sure to follow Tom Chaplin on his Facebook and Instagram to follow him on his journey to greater success.