The Most Entertaining Shows on Netflix

The Most Entertaining Shows on Netflix

This Is What You Should Be Watching Right Now

25
The Most Entertaining Shows on Netflix

Winter is coming. The yearly New England apocalypse is among us all. School will be canceled, jobs will be calling people out, and you will be finding snowbound excuses to get out of prior engagements. Whatever will you do snowbound? Netflix.

1. United States of Tara

If you aren’t watching this show or haven’t heard of it, then hop on the bandwagon now! Sadly, it only runs for three seasons but they are jam-packed with a classic mixture of sadness and humor. The show basically revolves around run of the mill housewife Tara, delightfully played by Toni Collette, with a not so average twist...she has six personalities. With intermingling characters like Alice, a 1950s housewife and Buck, a rough and rumble electrician, Tara’s family always falls in the middle of the mayhem. The show is a good time that will keep you occupied for a solid week.

Cast: Toni Collette, John Corbett

Episode Length: 30 minutes

Seasons: Three (Sadly received the axe early in the game)

Need more convincing? Diablo Cody, the mastermind behind Juno, came up with this witty piece

2. Bates Motel

Bates Motel is my favorite show of all time. As an avid Fanfiction writer for the show and being someone that has all of the posters plastered to her bedroom wall, I have to put this on the list because sadly, no one watches it. If you are anything like me, you like a combo of mystery and gore. The show is a finely tuned prequel to the 1960 Hitchcock film Psycho. With Vera Farmiga stealing the entire show as the mother of a young Norman Bates, the show has a lot to offer in each one hour episode. You’ll also love seeing Freddie Highmore (otherwise known as the kid from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) bursting out in an insane twist of blackouts.

Cast: Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore

Episode Length: 60 minutes

Seasons: Five

Need more convincing? This one comes from the producers of Lost and Friday Night Lights!

3. Six Feet Under

Without a doubt one of the most emotional shows you’ll ever watch. The premise is fairly dark but intriguing. The first episode starts off with a complete bang and then it really takes you on a roller coaster after that. The Fisher family lives in a funeral home. There is nothing special about it and nothing that really stands out. Plain morbid humor really makes the show all around great. This one takes a bit longer to finish but it’s well worth it.

Cast: Michael C. Hall, Richard Jenkins

Episode Length: 60 minutes

Seasons: 5

Need more convincing? The show is almost like a painting in the sense where every scene is like a pretty picture and every portion of acting is spot on and done with such deliberate care.

4. The Office

I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to anyone that didn’t like or love The Office. It’s impossible not to enjoy this show. The humor is dry and it’s set up like a glorious mockumentary. Basically most of the show is set in a paper office entitled Dunder Mifflin and focuses on the workers. The show has a mixture of everything, it can be sad, awkward, hilarious...who doesn’t like that? You can easily finish this show in the course of a month. It’s best watched in the sense where you can put it on in the background and do homework or something. You don’t even have to watch in specific order.

Cast: Steve Carell, John Krasinski

Episode Length: 30 minutes

Seasons: 9

Need more convincing? Dwight Schrute. Nuff’ said…

5. Orange is the New Black

Women in prison. The topic could be considered controversial for some. Yet, this show, based on a true story seems to bring incredible light and emotional depth to the issue. Piper Chapman plays a pristine woman who is convicted for a crime she committed in the past. She was apart of her girlfriend’s drug ring. The whole show pretty much gives you an entryway into the characters pasts and their lives in prison. I finished this one in a span of three short week. A good one to watch if you want enlightenment and entertainment. The show, though not entirely realistic according to real life inmates, does pack a pretty great adventure into one hour.

Cast: Laura Prepon, Jason Biggs

Episode Length: 60 minutes

Seasons: 5

Need more convincing: If you watch this show, an inmate named Crazy Eyes WILL throw her pie for you!

What are you waiting for? Stop reading! Let the binge watching begin!