The Moment My Life Changed Forever

The Moment My Life Changed Forever

On May 21, 2016, I made the biggest decision of my life thus far and it has changed me for the better.

704
The Moment My Life Changed Forever
Google

On May 21, 2016, my life changed forever.

It was a normal Sunday morning; I woke up, got ready, and went to church. But I had no idea that my life was about to change for the better. I've been in church from an early age, so my life was already vastly different because of Christ and I never expected what would happen.

That Sunday, one of the women at my church had a Compassion International table set up in our makeshift sanctuary (we meet at a school). For those not familiar with Compassion, it's a Christian organization that sponsors children all over the world who live in impoverished areas. People sign up to sponsor the child of their choice and each month gives money to go toward food, clothes and schooling-- both regular and bible school.

The children's backgrounds, countries and ages vary. There are children in the program that are orphans, some that still have parents and older children that sponsors provide for well into their adult lives.

On May 21, I decided (rather spontaneously) to sponsor my first child. I looked at the pictures of smiling children laid out on the table and my heart was so full and so broken at the same time. I was looking at children who are so precious, but unfortunately, do not have the same privileges and rights majority of children in the United States have. These children did nothing to deserve the hardships their fragile spirits have endured, and yet they smile-- because they still have hope.

There are many sponsorship organizations like Compassion International and they each offer hope to these children. Hope of love and of a better life.

As I was looking through pictures, my eyes landed on a little boy from Brazil wearing an ear-to-ear grin and a blue Abercrombie New York t-shirt. He looked just tall enough to reach the door handle and stood proudly in front of his home.

At that moment, I knew this was my child. This was the child I wanted to be my first sponsorship. I opened his information pamphlet and read that he loved playing soccer and swimming. He also has an older sister and loves to eat pizza often.

Anyone who knows me personally knows that my biggest dream is not a dream job, traveling, or a gorgeous house (although those are awesome). My biggest dream is to be a wife and a mother. I adore being around children, investing in their lives, and teaching them-- although I'd say they often teach me more.

I signed up to sponsor this little boy and read his entire information packet, looking back to his picture every few minutes. I even got a magnet form of the picture, which is proudly displayed on my fridge.

In a few months, I will have been a Compassion sponsor for a year. I've received and written letters with my child and hope to visit Brazil one day so I can experience all the places he writes about in his letters.

I cling to those letters and the fact that this child will grow up knowing the love of Christ and that someone out there in the world is rooting for him.

He sends a drawing with every letter that I meticulously observe, to make sure I don't miss any small details, and he writes even better than I do for someone who recently turned 7-years-old. (The kid writes in cursive!)

In the past year, my heart has grown so much bigger. I now know what it's like to have unconditional love for someone else. I now know what parents feel when they look at their children-- even if I am not related to this child by blood.

Through Compassion International and my sponsored child, I have grown so much in faith and maturity. I thank God that I found this little boy and that he has now become family.