The Melting Pot That Is New York City

The Melting Pot That Is New York City

New York is a great opportunity for all to come together

162
The Melting Pot That Is New York City
Meg McCarthy

Step into the bright lights of New York City. It’s an illustrious place to be a part of. Walking through the city, art is all around, whether it be in the streets or in a museum. The little towns around the city make it feel close to home to those that visit. I feel as though an important part of the city are the people. They add an element that isn’t seen in many other places.

When a city opens its arms to the people, it becomes something special. As I walk through the city, I see the many different faces that pass me by every single day. From the morning music that I hear when I enter Penn Station, to the people I see dancing when I get off the subway, it puts a smile on your face when you’re able to see others enjoying this opportunity. It’s great to see even those who come to New York for a visit, be able to have an amazing time.

I’ll say this right now, the food is beyond me. I’ve made it an adventure for me and some friends to go around the city trying different types of food. The whole city is an adventure in itself. There are so many things to see that have so much historical background. One of my best memories were exploring Central Parks with my friends trying to find the best places to take photos and to find excellent food spots. My friends have introduced me to different people which allowed me to make new connections. The stories they have to share caught my attention.

One person I’d met was all the way from Kansas. If you could imagine this in any way you can, she lived in a farm county. The most generic picture you can think of. She barely had any internet where she was from. From her body language and meeting her face to face she was humble in her own way. Culture shock was definitely an understatement. Coming from a small compact town then moving to a huge city full of different people, I realized that not everything was the same. Just the smallest things were different. When we went out to get pizza, she wondered why I was folding my pizza and not just eat it normally. I was so confused on when she asked and thought maybe they didn’t do this by where she was from.

A person I met recently was from the U.K. and we decided to go to a bakery. They asked me if I could buy some “biscuits” and I looked like a confused baby. I asked “Do you mean a cookie”. I realized that it was the same thing later on.

It still drives me crazy knowing that New York City is such a big place for all. It allows each and every person to find themselves. It makes them feel at home and welcomed. This is why I love living in New York.