The Man He Didn't Have To Be

The Man He Didn't Have To Be

He had a choice, he chose to be there for me as a dad.

210
The Man He Didn't Have To Be
Vickie Tucker

Growing up, my father was not around. I have a great family who is always there to help my mom out, and amazing grandparents who always taught me a thing or two about manners. I also lived in a neighborhood full of kids, and one in particular would take me under his wing as his 'little sister' and with him came a built in 'dad.' My neighbor dad would take me in as the "daughter he never had."

He treated me as one of his own, from teaching me to drive a car to being frustrated with being a teenager, he was there to help me through it all. He would never overstep or contradict what I was thinking, but guided me through life decisions. Little did he know, he would have such a positive impact on my life just by being there. He became the man I consider my dad, so here's to him and all the other wonderful dads out there.

1. They're Always There for Events

In elementary school, they held events such as "donuts for dad" and "write about your dad." Luckily for me, I did not have to miss out on those events like my father would. My dad would take me to the events and made me feel included. As I grew up, he would make every sporting event he could just to watch me play, even the 8 a.m. start times.

There was not anything in it for him, other than to watch me play my sports. He would help me practice when I needed it, and take me to get ice cream afterwards. He took me to the father daughter dances in high school, and even went along with the crazy senior dads dance. He did not have to go to the events, but he wanted to. He is always there for my birthdays, and never forgets to tell me "Happy Birthday."

2. Supported Me and My Family

He did not support us with money but with his company. In an all girl home, we did not have anyone in our house who could do the 'dirty' work, or reach on the highest shelf. We were not the strongest either and always needed help moving and lifting objects. When something would go wrong, from the football Sunday's to the birthday parties, we could always count on him to be there. It was never a burden to him (or at least he never showed it), and he was always willing to help us out. He never disappointed us, or let us down.

3. He Was There on the Big Day.

The girls have their father walk them down the aisle at their wedding. I asked him to walk me down, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I did not ask him because I felt that I owed him for all that he has done for me, I asked him because he is my dad. He watched me grow up and helped me get to that point of my life. I wasn't his biological kid. He didn't have to take me to family trips, or go to my events. He didn't have to take me under his wing. He did have a choice, and he chose to be there for me. He was the man he didn't have to be.

Happy fathers day to all the dads out there, especially all the dads who didn't have to be. Thank you for making our lives special.