The Magic Of Astrology

Is is possible that the movement and position of the planets and stars can ultimately affect our mood and predict the future? A strong believer in the energy of the cosmos would probably say "Yes, it is all true! I read my horoscopes diligently every day and they always seem to come true one way or another." On the other hand, a scientist could argue against this stating it is merely the placebo effect tricking our minds into thinking it's the truth.

So who's right? Let's look at the science of it.

Astrology has been around since about 3000 B.C.E when the Mesopotamian people used the position of the planets to predict agricultural cycles and weather. These people studied the stars and planets carefully, not realizing there was more to it than just position.

As time passed, the four forces of nature were discovered: Gravity, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. Every star and every planet possesses these forces and all these forces mingle with each other in the galaxy to keep everything running smoothly.

The general idea of astrology is that the day you are born, the planets positioning dictates the amount these forces of nature are acting upon you, thus determining what your star sign is. So, when the strength of these forces change, your mood changes with it.

To understand better, this situation can be closely related to taking medicine. When you start taking the medicine, your body will get used to the amount you are taking and adjust itself to it. However, if one day you start taking a higher dosage, your body will have to readjust itself to this change, the same is true if you change the dosage to a smaller amount. Every time you adjust the dosage, your body has to adjust as well. The medicine is like the forces of nature and the changing dosage is like the changing positions of the stars and planets.

All of this probably sounds very scientific and plausible. Unfortunately, a crucial fact is missing...distance. All of these planets and stars are millions upon millions of miles away. The electromagnetic field of, for example, Saturn acting upon the earth is virtually zero. This being said, the position of the planets has nothing to do with dictating your mood or future.

So all those horoscopes you read are probably just formulated by some so called 'professional' people somewhere plugging in numbers and saying some generalized words that can apply to virtually everyone. Despite knowing all of this, however, I personally still love horoscopes and follow mine to a T.

As I stated in the beginning of the article, the reason why horoscopes seem to "come true" is due to the placebo effect. We read the predictions and advice and believe it, thus our mind will seem to make it happen! Even if the predictions are all just a bunch of bologna, our minds trick us into having a more positive attitude every day!

Despite my star sign not dictating how I may feel certain days, I still love the networking opportunities the signs provide! "What's your star sign?" Is an excellent icebreaker question I find myself using quite often. Same signs often ignite an immediate connection and further discussion!

Don't let the science of things keep you from having a bit of fun! Go learn more about your star sign, read some horoscopes, you may be surprised what your mind can trick you into believing!