The Love-Hate Relationship Only People From Syracuse Understand

We complain about our city, but will defend it to the end if anyone else does!

12
Housely

Living in Syracuse is undoubtedly a paradigm. As natives of Syracuse, we will complain loudly about how much we despise living there, or going home there for college breaks, but we be quick to defend our city the moment we hear an outsider’s complaint. As Syracusans, we have a love-hate relationship with our city like no other. Here are some of the things we complain about, but secretly appreciate at the end of the day.

Historically being the snowiest city in the United States.

Shoveling is the worst, so are cancelled plans when the roads are too bad to drive. But we make our own fun on the snowiest days, sipping hot cocoa and watching our favorite movies. We will also boast to anyone who listens about our shoveling skills or our ability to adapt to this insane weather.

Destiny USA.

Or is it the Carousel Mall? Whatever you call it, we definitely complain about how crowded and full of Canadian tourists it is, especially during the holidays. But when we need something specific, we know we can find it at Destiny/Carousel. On a rainy day, there’s also plenty of fun things to do there like Dave and Busters, Revolutions Bowl, or the infamous WonderWorks.

Nightlife.

Downtown isn’t big, and neither are the night clubs. At first glance there doesn’t seem to be much to do after sundown. However, there are constantly food and culture festivals, live music acts at Funk ‘n Waffles, and outdoor movies near Armory Square. Although we don’t have the traditional nightlife experience at our fingertips, we have many of unique goings on if only we dig a little deeper.

SU basketball games.

When we have someplace to be, getting stuck in game day traffic is the worst. But whether we’re stuck in the back up or tailgating by the dome, you better believe we’re wearing one of our fifteen SU shirts designed by Holy Shirt! The city is painted orange on game days. We are proud of our team and rightfully so.

The Great New York State Fair.

The exit to the state fair is another place to get stuck, this is true. But the Great New York State Fair is consistently ranked one of the top state fairs in the nation, and rightfully so! We have the best music, the best rides, 25 cent milk, and $1 baked potatoes! You better believe we’ll be there more than once a year.

So though we are quick to complain about where we’re from, don’t let our surface-level negativity fool you. We love our city, even though we don’t always show it, and we want you to love our city too. For us, Syracuse will always be home.