The Long Island Sound: 7 Artists That Shaped The Long Island Music Scene

You can take the artist off the island, but you can't take the island out of the artist.

722
The Range Place

Long Island is famous for many things: our pizza and bagels, our Lawn-Guyland accents, the Hamptons, and most importantly our music. From hip hop to heavy metal, our multi-faceted music scene has always reflected the diversity of cultures found on the island. Even though I'm leaving my home for college life in Boston, I can never leave behind the sounds I grew up with and the history behind them. Strong Island forever, baby!

*Note: I'll only be listing artists who originate from Nassau and Suffolk counties. So many talented artists and acts that I revere have come from Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, but that may just be another list for another day.

1. Pat Benatar

Pat Benatar performing and being an all-around badass.

Born Patricia Mae Andrzejewski in Brooklyn, this rock and roll queen grew up in Lindenhurst and briefly pursued a health education degree at Stony Brook University in Suffolk County. She then dropped out to marry her high school sweetheart, and she started performing at Catch a Rising Star, a comedy club in New York City. She and her husband eventually divorced, but she got married to a successful career as a kick-ass rock star.

Benatar's debut album In the Heat of the Night (1979) sported the hit single "Heartbreaker," which opened the door for her to dominate the charts with her powerful vocals. Her iconic single "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" came from her 1980 release Crimes of Passion, which peaked on the US charts at #2 for five weeks in a row and gave her the Grammy for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance, the first of four Grammys Benatar would win in her career.

With twelve albums and a staggering twenty-nine tours under her belt, it's no wonder that she's one of rock's most respected ladies.

Benatar is notably the only female artist on this list, unsurprising given the male-oriented nature of the music industry. There have been a few female artists originating on Long Island who have experienced commercial success, such as Ashanti of Glen Cove and Mariah Carey of Huntington, but Benatar is undoubtedly the trailblazer of the bunch.

In true Long Island fashion, Benatar is a woman who doesn't take no for an answer and won't compromise who she is for anyone. It's brave women like Benatar who have paved the way for women in the rock industry; it's not easy being a woman in a man's world, but Benatar rocked it, and for that I owe her a massive thank-you.

2. The Good Rats

The Good Rats had some amazing tunes, amazing chops, and amazing facial hair. It's a wonder they never broke the mainstream with killer 'dos like those.

Possibly the most famous unknown band in Long Island history, the Good Rats gained a cult following during the 1970s by playing clubs alongside scene favorites like Twisted Sister and Zebra without ever achieving the same status of fame. Nevertheless, the college rockers who met at St. John's University in 1964 managed to garner the attention and subsequently the love of the local public with their debut record The Good Rats in 1969.

Following the release of their most famous record Tasty in 1974, the Rats were opening for and headlining alongside rock giants such as Rush, Journey, Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, and Styx at venues like the Nassau Coliseum and Madison Square Garden.

The Good Rats' sound was characterized by heavy blues influences, dense vocal harmonies, guitarist John Gatto's intricate ax work, and singer Peppi Marchello's signature rasp. The Rats also had a knack for songwriting; songs such as the ballady "Advertisement in the Voice" and the pop-rock masterpiece "Boardwalk Slasher" off of Ratcity in Blue could have easily been radio smash hits, along with the autobiographical "Back To My Music" and the jazzy "Injun Joe" off of Tasty.

However, even their tastiest efforts failed to bolster them into the big time, forcing them to remain tied to the local scene and keeping them from moving up. In a way, the band experienced the same specific type of working-class suburban stagnancy that many Long Islanders face, and perhaps that's what made the Rats so captivating to the patrons of local joints on the island.

I have to thank my dad for introducing me to this fantastic unknown band. He was in a few bands when he was younger, and he loved going to rock shows more than anything, including some Good Rats gigs.

He once came into my room and placed his Tasty and Ratcity in Blue CDs on my desk and pointed with a crooked forefinger. "Now that's a great band." There's something slightly magical about the non-fame of the Good Rats and how their fanbase was so local and so involved in their careers. I'm just glad I got to learn about Long Island's best-kept secret.

3. Public Enemy

Public Enemy sporting the group's signature bling, the stopwatch.

Along with the Run DMC and the Beastie Boys that populated my mom's iPod playlists, Public Enemy was some of the first hip hop that I heard as a kid. When Public Enemy was formed in 1986, the group consisted of Chuck D and Terminator X from Roosevelt and Professor Griff and Flavor Flav, who hail from Freeport.

MC Chuck D and hype man Flavor Flav met at Adelphi University in Nassau County and collaborated occasionally before the group even formed, attracting the attention of the future legendary producer Rick Rubin, who back then was just a rookie. The group began opening for the Beastie Boys in local shows before releasing their debut album Yo! Bum Rush The Show in 1987 under Def Jam Records.

The group's next two records It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988) and Fear of a Black Planet (1989) were more commercially successful, and much more politically charged. "Don't Believe the Hype" and "Rebel Without A Pause" emerged as virulent critiques of the current political climate, but "Fight the Power" broke ground and became one of the most powerful anthems of black power in hip hop history.

When I first heard this song as a young kid, I wasn't quite aware of all the issues that Chuck D. was rapping about, but I knew he was really passionate about what he was saying and I knew that he had one ill flow.

Combined with elements of funky jazz and quicksilver lyricism, Public Enemy's political and social commentary rooted itself in hip hop and rap culture forever, inspiring other artists to embrace their blackness to "fight the powers that be" and make bold, politically-charged statements. Thanks to the efforts of Public Enemy, the black community on Long Island had some type of identity, community, and fight song that remains with them to this day.

Thanks to these trailblazers, the Long Island hip hop scene was forever changed. To quote Flavor Flav, "yeah boyyyyyyyy!"

4. Jon Bellion

Jon Bellion's music is so good, sometimes he gets too into itand forgets where the audience is when he's performing. Don't worry Jon, it happens to the best of us.

At the tender age of 26, Jon Bellion is the youngest artist on this list, but that doesn't put a damper on his impressive accomplishments. In 2011 Bellion signed with Visionary Music Group at age 21 after releasing his first mixtape.

Only a year later, the Lake Grove native was helping pen hits such as the hook of Eminem's "The Monster" featuring Rihanna's vocals and Jason Derulo's "Trumpets." Despite the success of these smash hits, his best works are arguably his own releases, which are masterfully self-written and self-produced.

Bellion's 2016 record The Human Condition is chock-full of lurching backbeats, shimmering harmonies, and electronic interjections that contrast with Bellion’s vulnerable, honest lyrics, creating a masterful juxtaposition. He is currently on tour with his band, The Beautiful Mind, whose members also hail from Long Island and have previously worked together in the alternative-soul outfit Beyond This Point with a few collaborations with a much younger Bellion. This goes to show that Jon Bellion is a loyal man of his word, and that he doesn't forget his roots, which serves to strengthen the musical community that he came from.

The theme of The Human Condition is a universal one: as humans, we all have the same flaws of pride, greed, and lust, flaws that young people are often extremely susceptible to. I've spent many summer nights driving around with my friends playing this record on repeat, not only because they're beautifully written and produced songs but because Jon Bellion knows exactly how it feels to be in the position that I'm in as a Long Island teenager trying to find my way through a convoluted adolescence. Thanks for the music and thanks for understanding, Jon.

5. Blue Öyster Cult

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Forming under the moniker Soft White Underbelly in Stony Brook in 1967, Blue Öyster Cult had some trouble getting their career off the ground. Several name changes, an entire LP's worth of material shelved by Elektra Records, and some coercion by founding manager Sandy Pearlman eventually led to the band getting an audition for Columbia Records in New York City. President Clive Davis was sold immediately, enabling the hard rock band to spread its wings and soar headfirst as a ground-breaking band heavy metal act that influenced a plethora of artists across all genres and cemented their place into history.

With singles such as the SNL-revered "Don't Fear the Reaper" off of Agents of Fortune (1976), the roaring "Godzilla" from Spectres (1977), and the classic "Burnin' For You" from Fire of Unknown Origin (1981), Blue Öyster Cult had no trouble garnering commercial success. With help from jingle guru David Lucas and a slew of cowriters and lyricists, the band was touring with industry giants such as the Byrds and Alice Cooper.

Their live shows featured stunning laser light visuals, extended jam sessions, and killer musicianship thanks to the chops of ax man Buck Dharma and the shredding vocals of Eric Bloom. Despite the band's decline in the late 80s, Blue Öyster Cult managed to ride out a rockin' Cinderella story, going from playing local clubs to rocking sold-out stadiums and becoming the stuff of legend.

Blue Öyster Cult has inspired many artists of virtually all genres, from hard punk to psychedelic rock to jam bands. They were America's aggressive answer to British hard rock giants Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, the latter of whom were managed by Sandy Pearlman later on, and they sure made America proud. To this day, Blue Öyster Cult remain pioneering legends and will forever be figureheads of rock and roll.

6. Jeff Rosenstock

Rosenhood and his Merry Men. DIY basement punk never looked so good.

One might call Jeff Rosenstock the paragon of a DIY renaissance man. Hailing from Baldwin, Rosenstock has years of experience in the local ska, punk, and lo-fi indie scenes with the discography to prove it, often writing, producing, and distributing his own material.

He started out playing shows in basements, which he still often does to maintain the unique DIY aesthetic and intimacy of his shows. Rosenstock is the Robin Hood of punk rock; he detests money-hungry corporate industry practices, a hatred often expressed in his emotive lyrics, and instead provides his music for free via his self-started label Quote Unquote Records. It's a rare sight to behold, but Jeff Rosenstock is a rare kind of guy to whom we all owe gratitude.

Rosenstock is best known for his work in fronting the ska-punk outfit the Arrogant Sons of Bitches and folk-punk group AJJ, but Bomb the Music Industry! is by far the most unique of his projects. Less of a band and more of a movement, Rosenstock stuck it to conventional concert practices by making certain that everyone who wanted to go and see a show would get the opportunity to do so.

This meant $10 admission charges for all ages and the chance to play with the band if you bring your own guitar and learn the songs, creating an intimate and inclusive atmosphere for show goers. This also made sure that every single BtMI! show was entirely unique and unforgettable.

Rosenstock has quite the impressive resume, sporting several production credits on other band's records and a handful of solo releases under his belt. His DIY attitude and style have travelled basements beyond the shores of the island and to basements all around the country. Rosenstock is undoubtedly one of the most genuine guys in music today, and every kid who's been to one of his house shows has felt right at home.

This list of course is not the end-all-be-all of the incredible talent of the Long Island music scene. Artists including the prog-metal posterboys of Dream Theater (John Petrucci and John Myung hail from Kings Park, Mike Portnoy from Long Beach), guitar gods Joe Satriani and Steve Vai (Westbury and Carle Place, respectively), and glam metal icons Twisted Sister (East Quogue) have all experienced immense commercial success as well. However, no list of Long Island artists is complete without one special man: the Piano Man.

7. Billy Joel

The Piano Man, the myth, the legend himself.

On the island, it truly is impossible to go to a family barbecue, backyard party, or bonfire without hearing at least three of Billy Joel's hits populating the playlist. With thirty-three self-penned Top 40 hits, six Grammy awards, and 150 million records sold worldwide, Joel's international success is undeniable.

However, this Hicksville resident's heart still lies on Long Island, which inspired many of his songs. Not only does he simply namedrop locations on the island, he perfectly captures the life of its residents: working-class struggles in moving up the corporate ladder, the frustration of being a teenager trapped in the suburbs, and nostalgia for younger days. Billy Joel's music has an astonishing scope, connecting generations old and young and allowing them to share a unified pride for where they're from.

Piano Man, Joel's first album released by Columbia in 1973, gave us the hit title track, a tune that has made its way into the hearts of people all over the country, but no one knows the words better than a group of Long Islanders. Over time, Joel released albums of various genres to avoid getting pigeon-holed into the position of a "soft-rock" ballad singer.

You want a rock record? You've got Glass Houses (1980) featuring "Still Rock & Roll To Me" and "You May Be Right." You want doo-wop? Joel's got it with An Innocent Man (1983) with iconic a cappella track "The Longest Time". Joel greatly admired the pop school of songwriting with its catchy hooks and melodies, reflected in all of his writing across four decades but especially apparent on The Nylon Curtain (1982).

Billy Joel comes from humble beginnings, spending his teen years playing the piano in bars to help his mother make ends meet. To Long Islanders, he's our underdog champion, and he gives us hope.

His exceptional talent and massive commercial success don't overshadow his humility and his love for the island that raised him. For this, I'll always look up to him as a musician, as a writer, and as a Long Islander.