The Life Syrians Lead Among Constant Conflict

(And How We Can Help)

23
REUTERS/BASSAM KHABIEH

Among the war-torn and impoverished country of Syria exists a population of men, women, and children desperately seeking refuge from merciless persecution, brutal violence, and inhumane living conditions. The civil war stems from years of conflict between a dictatorial regime and civilian rebels; however, the story of Syria’s troubles is far more complex than a revolutionary ‘Robin Hood’-esque tale, and for years heinous atrocities have been committed by both sides of the contentious battle. The citizens of Syria have had the untimely misfortune of residing in hotbeds of violence and controversy, and because of this, hundreds of thousands of innocent lives have been lost since the beginning of the conflict in 2011.

A brief summary about the conflict can be found here.

According to recent statistics, upwards of 4.5 million Syrians have fled due to the civil war. 13.5 million people within Syria are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. 250,000 citizens have been killed. More than 50 percent of Syria’s 23 million citizens have been displaced.

Now in 2016, Syria is entering its sixth year of conflict.

But frankly, this isn’t about numbers.

The repetition of statistical findings only further dehumanizes the already almost unconceivable truth of Syria. It seems the larger the death toll, the more the world allows itself to become desensitized from the reality of the situation.

It is an innate tendency as humans to become numb to such an emotionally distressing and abominable situation. However, it is important to be aware we are doing so. We cannot pretend these stories are not true, nor that they are not happening every day to millions of innocent Syrian citizens.

The fact is that millions of Syrians live in constant fear of death. Children may no longer attend school safely. Women will give birth to infants suffering otherwise preventable diseases which are now considered fatal due to lack of proper conditions and medical equipment. Families will lose dozens of loved ones in the span of one generation. Numerous unique atrocities, almost too horrific for words, occur daily.

Stories of real Syrian citizens and refugees can be found here.

Syrians fleeing the war walk towards the border gates at the Akcakale border crossing, in Sanliurfa province on June 15, 2015. (CNN)

It is incredibly disheartening to read about the conditions of Syria and feel unable to help. A recent CNN Article has published major charities whose goals are to aid Syrians survive the current conflict. [This article is not intended to advertise any specific organization ---the links are intended to provide options for readers to help the cause of Syria.]

A list of these organizations and their links can be found here.