The Life Of A Summer Intern As Told By 'The Devil Wears Prada'

An inside look into the exciting, intimidating experience of your first relevant position in the industry you want to work for.

30

Having a summer internship can represent a pivotal time in your young life. It's now time to put your big boy pants on and add everyone you know on LinkedIn, showing off your professional new profile and a picture that's only slightly classier than anything you've ever posted on social media. There are several things that happen as you embark on this exciting adventure; many firsts that can seem extremely awesome and mistakes that make you feel like you have bankrupted the entire operation. It has been a wild ride, and we're only a few weeks away from finishing.

When you walk into your fabulous new desk job the first day of work.

You own it, and everyone wants to be the underpaid or unpaid fresh new face in the workforce!

When you answer your first phone call.

More than likely, with your luck, this person probably had a thick accent making you completely unable to write the laundry list of information you are supposed to put down about this contact.

When you first feel like you don't know what you're doing, but also don't want it to appear to others that you don't know what you're doing.

Asking your boss a question can feel like the most embarrassing, worst thing an intern could possibly do, but chances are they probably would rather you ask then do your assignment completely wrong.

When the barista at Starbucks finally knows your name.

Chances are you've probably run out for coffee and food orders so often that you feel like you should probably work part time for GrubHub.

When a co-worker offers you advice that you only understand once you actually do what they said not to do.

Because why go to the Staples three blocks down like your co-worker told you when Google Maps on your phone leads you to one 25 minutes further?

When you ask, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" in your sweetest little voice every day before you leave the office.

Oh, the wonderful feeling of freedom after a stressful day of putting data into Excel and other minor, mindless tasks.

When you first make a questionable suggestion while trying to be actually helpful, and then overanalyze your boss's response for the rest of the day, and possibly the week.

WHY WOULD I MAKE ANY SORT OF SUGGESTION? I'M AN INTERN, NOT AN ACTUALLY RELEVANT PERSON. MY WORK EMAIL ISN'T EVEN MY NAME, IT'S INTERN@COMPANY.COM.

When you come to the conclusion that the only possible consequence of your mistakes is getting relieved of your duties forever.

I am the only intern in the world who has made a mistake. This is absolutely NOT supposed to be a learning experience. I'm supposed to know everything.

When your boss gives you the nerve-racking task of a complicated assignment that may actually have a small impact on the company.

How does anyone do this research? I don't even know where to begin. What do half of these words mean? What field did I apply to work in?

When you finally feel like you have some idea of what you're doing.

It's all part of the routine now, and you're a seasoned pro. Too bad there's basically only two weeks left of your job.

At the end of the day, little Andy, your internship was a wonderful learning experience to open your mind to endless possibilities. The world is your oyster, and you now have an actual resume and some great stories to tell.