The Letters: Chapter 1 & Chapter 2

The Letters: Chapter 1 & Chapter 2

A series of letters that cover different aspects of life

17
The Letters: Chapter 1 & Chapter 2
Google Images

For the next series of articles, I am going to do a story. The story is going to be composed of fictional letters. Each theme is different. I am going to try to do two chapters/letters a week. My dream as long as I can remember was to be an author and doing these articles are my creative outlet. Who knows, maybe a publishing company will see these.

Chapter 1: Heartbreak

To my heartbreaker,

It's only been a few months since we last talked. I replay the conversation in my head almost everyday. It's like a broken CD that just plays the same song over and over even after you've tried to fix it. The tears have stopped but the pain hasn't. I still feel a hollow spot in my heart every morning that I wake up. I try to fill the void with different things but nothing seems to work My chest constricts when I see you and my breathe seems to stop for a moment. I still look at pictures of us to try and remember how it feels to be happy with another person.

People tell me to move on. "He doesn't deserve you" or "You're too good for him" are just a few of their reasons for me to forget you. I want to believe them but I can't stop thinking about you. I see you in that line on the horizon right before the sun rises. That strip of flaming orange that is bright like your smile when you talked about things that excited you. I hear your laughter in the throaty rumble of thunder during a late-night storm. I think of you when I hear the birds sing after the rain. In the deep part of the night, when the rest of the world is asleep, I can still feel the feeling of you wrapping your arms around me. When a breeze flutters through my window, I can still smell you as if you right next to me. That sweet mixture of the air after it rains, fresh-cut grass, and warm summer days. I see your sleepy, tired face in my morning cup of coffee and remember how you never understood why I liked it so much.

I miss you and that seems like the most cliche thing to say. But we've grown apart for a reason. I guess I should thank you for the time we spent together. I will always be grateful for that time we spent together because it taught me a lesson. I still wish almost every day and night that you were a better man. I don't know if you know it broke my heart to walk away and look behind me to see only your back as you walked the other way. Lots of love.

-Once the love of your life

Chapter 2: First Love

To my first love,

You have a special place in my heart. It probably seems weird I would write a letter like this but I just need to get my thoughts out into words. Yes, I've fallen for a lot of people since we've been together but I still think about you every once and a while. I don't look back at our memories or pictures with hate. We had fun together, didn't we? The two of us didn't know how to be in a relationship. How were we supposed to be? We were each other's first relationships. We taught each other how to do it and grew close because of it.

Do you remember how I asked you to be my girlfriend? I'm embarrassed even remembering it. I was so nervous and I had this plan in my head on how I was going to do it. I just saw you walk into that high school, laughing with your friends. I remember your eyes being crinkled at the corners. They did that whenever you smiled or laughed. Your hair at the time was so long with these fiery streaks of red. Those streaks matched your personality because you could be a little spitfire when someone rubbed you the wrong way. And the sass you could give was astounding. All these thoughts were running through my head as I watched you walk in, most of them saying I couldn't have you. You had a natural beauty that just glowed and no girl in that high school matched it. Then we made eye contact and my chest tightened. I forgot every thing I was going to say to you. You walked over to me and your smile, your eyes, everything about you made my mind stop. I can't remember what you were saying but I just blurted out, "Will you be my girlfriend?" Your eyes grew big and you looked shocked. But then that big, braces-filled (it was still beautiful with them on) smile stretched across your face and you replied, "Of course."

I know it didn't last long but man, we had fun. We were crazy for each other and didn't care about what anyone else thought. All that mattered to me was your hand in mine. Our memories make me laugh whenever they pop in my head.

I hope life is treating you well. You had big dreams and I always had a feeling you would achieve them. While I don't know if this letter will ever reach you but just know I will always appreciate the time we had together and hold you to the highest regard.

-Your first love