Dear Freshman

Dear Freshman

A little letter to the Freshman you once were.

4
Dear Freshman
Keith Walters

Dear Naïve Me,

I know things are new and exciting right now and all you want to do is enjoy these few more years before real adulthood. Everyone has been telling you that "college is the time of your life" and "college is the best four years of your life." With all that being true, there are plenty of things you must keep in mind in order to truly enjoy these years to come.

For starters, remember you are there for school and to get a degree. It is possible to be completely focused on school and still have fun. I know there is always something exciting happening on and off campus, but you don't always have to be a part of it. Designate some days to work on school things, and the rest of the time you are in the clear to just escape the stress any which way you can. Really study for that class that you were having trouble in, attend office hours and let yourself be known, you have no idea how much these things will help you at the end of the semester.

I know you want people to like you and there are some people you've already clicked with, but don't just limit yourself to those few people. Go out and meet people, even if you have to do so alone. Don't be afraid to be out in the crowd without that one person to have your back. You don't know it yet, but sometimes that one person may actually be the one person you don't talk to for the rest of your life. They may end up being one of the people that assist in making college much harder for you. Don't let this friendship dictate your happiness. Although you made this person to be your best friend right off the bat, sometimes you realize the greater friends are the ones that came randomly. People drift apart all the time, but its through the tough times that you see who was really there for you and who was there out of convenience.

Now, I know you saw that boy that one day and instantly had a thing for him. Take it slow. Really figure him out, and figure yourself out. College is a new adventure, relationships are another adventure, and taking on two adventures at once can be overwhelming. This may be the first time you feel something close to that darn L word, but don't lose yourself in him. Be you and stick your ground. You will learn that sometimes you will get your heart broken, no matter how real you kept things. Don't let yourself fall down a bad path over a broken heart, you will get back up and find better. But also keep in mind to not regret letting yourself fall for a guy like him, you need to experience this first heartbreak to truly know what you want in life. It all becomes a learning experience.

Since you're a freshman you obviously want to meet people so you can branch out and really experience the college life. There's always that one senior that tries hitting on the freshman at a party. Even if you are in a fight with the person you want to be with, keep your ground like I know you could and don't let him get the best of you. But, remember to walk on egg shells. If he tried once, he will try again even if he tries to play the "I need to talk to a friend" card. That one time he needed a friend the most, is the one time that may cause the rest of your college career to be a insane.

You know those cliques that you always see in high school and movies? That's essentially what you will learn many of the sorority and fraternities are and in those cliques there are mini cliques. You may want to join one, get to really know them before you even try cause those mini cliques can end up making your college years hell. They don't just allow anyone in and if they find you intimidating or to be the cause of any of their problems they will be sure to not let you into theirs and they will gossip. Let it go. People can gossip all they want, you know who your friends are and know the truth. Those girls who made a point to make your time in college miserable will see how immature they were one day. They can yell at your in the bar, throw things (and drinks) and you, and post insulting tweets but it just shows that they don't have a back bone. Don't ever stoop to their level.

Finally, if you want to transfer because this school is too far, the atmosphere isn't what you want, or the major you really want isn't good in that school, go ahead and transfer. Don't be scared about leaving the friends you made in school, if they are really your friends they will stay around. Don't put yourself through a depressed state just to stay with these people. You deserve to be happy to, even if it means slightly separating from others. You will learn that transferring is a fresh start and you can really enjoy your college years. It's never too late.

Remember, things happen for a reason. So just go out and enjoy the college years as much as possible.

Sincerely,

The one who has already experienced it all....