Writing Has A Cost, That Doesn't Mean It Has To Be Clickbait
Lifestyles

In The Land Of The Free, Even Writing Has A Price

Nothing is free in this world, but the cost of great writing doesn't have to be clickbait because it contains ads.

76

As I sit down to write this week, I take a moment to think about the great opportunities that have been presented to me through the world of literature and language. Writing has provided me with an outlet during an emotionally difficult time in my life but has also provided me with the strength to learn more about myself and to become a better person. However, everything comes at a price and nothing is free in this world. Our lives are surrounded with an ease of our generation's time as we live when food can be delivered directly to our door, when we can soothe the feeling of loneliness by picking up the phone to call or video a loved one, or satisfying any other desire or wish at the flip, switch, or click of a button.

As a writer, the greatest achievement I can think of is to share my written thoughts with someone else. While I drive my friends and family crazy with constantly asking them to read anything I have written, I always hope to reach out to new people in the eagerness of connecting with someone I have no relation with other than the text laid out before them. The relationship created between a writer and reader from words laid bare on a piece of paper is an extraordinary thing.

However, as a writer, it is not just our words, stories, grammar, etc. that are judged but also the platform with which we use to share our writing. While the new advancements in life have led to wonderful things, they have also left us quick to question and react to any form of approach from something new. So, when someone sees an article or blog shared on social media, they often dismiss it as "clickbait" because the website contains ads. Yet, while my writing (just like the article you are currently reading) might be enclosed with ads, it does not make it any less of an article. It does not turn these words into "clickbait" but provides a writer with a way to share their story with readers like you and a way for them to create a professional portfolio for their future as well.

So, what would you ask is the price I pay for writing for Odyssey then? I would have to answer honestly and tell you that my price is the hard work and effort I put into my writing each week to share my thoughts and ideas with readers like you. It is finding a family in the group of people who work behind the scenes to create the content and website you see on the screen before you. All of this is to create Odyssey, a place where people come together to share their thoughts and ideas at the price of some ads peppered throughout the articles, pages, and website and I consider that a win for both writers and readers.

"But remember, nothing comes without a price. Our paths are not mapped; they're made."

-Priya Ardis, "Ever My Merlin"