The Joys and Sorrows of Winter for College Students

Mental preparation for college students dreading wintertime

32

Over the past couple of weeks, some of us have witnessed the leaves go from green, to bronze, to nonexistent on the very trees that shaded us from the heat months prior. With today being Halloween it is safe to say that the winter months will be soon upon us bringing us the hated pleasures of the seasons. There will be inches on inches of fresh powder snow waiting to fall that will soon turn to the hated "get up and shovel the driveway" snow that everyone dreads (except the kids who will have a ball shoveling but lately life has you categorized as an adult so you try your best to act like one right?). Likewise the beauty of the holidays will envelop us until around February 1st when you realize that you've already given up on your new year's resolution and it's just cold for no apparent reason, but even with this being said, I must admit that the joys of getting cozy by the fire, or cups of hot chocolate are secretly bringing many college students great pleasure..

Until they realize they must spend money on a new coat which will only keep them warm for half the trek to your 8 am class, which was surprisingly cancelled due to weather conditions for once but are you celebrating? No, because there is now a full trek of cold weather ahead of you and now you are regretting not spending the extra twenty-five dollars it took to get a heavier coat, not to mention you were running late and forgot your gloves. On top of that you're so excited to finally spend quality time with your family before remembering that you're a student athlete and only have a few days of break before you're back in the gym running off the beautiful meal you waited so long to enjoy (literally the whole semester). Like wise if athletics isn't your thing, you will be content with being home until you hit around week three when it seems you're back in high school and your mom is yelling at you to wash the dishes.

Either way it goes, you are both excited and apathetic about the approaching cold weather. On top of midterms and the dreaded finals week you must remember to take in the beauty of the changing weather systems while not feeling betrayed by Drake's Summer Sixteen jam as you give it a thumbs down on Pandora. This is when you realize that you got exactly what you ask for.. Instead of complaining about the heat because you had no A/C in your car, you are now wishing it was 85* and sunny as cold rain ruins your new fall leather boots, but this is the life you were blessed with so you've accepted it. Besides its only motivation to stay in school so you can escape to your beach house 15 winters from now so don't lose hope!! As the cold weathers strips you of your motivation to go on, refuse to skip class and hibernate and instead go learn something new! Even if it is only how to stay determined in your human philosophy class that you just couldn't make it to! Haha good Luck!