The Invisible Backpack

The Invisible Backpack

What is weighing you down?

58
The Invisible Backpack

The summer going into 8th grade I was at camp. My cabin was fighting a lot, calling each other mean names. Our unit head sat the cabin down and explained to us about our invisible backpacks.

An invisible backpack can be light because someone gave you a compliment or helped you out with something but it can also be heavy if someone says something hurtful or physically hurts you.

We all wear these backpacks and need to be more aware of how heavy someone else's may be. You never know what someone might be carrying on his or her back, which is why even the slightest thing can lighten someone’s backpack.

Over the years we have been seeing more and more school shootings. A student has hit the point of no return. Their invisible backpack is so heavy it is time for them to take it off. This point can be reached from constant name-calling, continuous failings on exams, lack of friends, or being physically harmed over and over again.

When we were children our parents would always say “use your words” when we would get mad about something. What if someone doesn’t have that person they can use their words with, no one to talk to or no one they feel they can talk to?

A lot of people fall under the cloud of depression and anxiety which could cause them to harm themselves with or without knowing they are doing so. If just one person is there for them that can make the world of difference.

Be that person. Let your guard down and open up with someone who may also need to open up. Learn to tell and learn to listen. All people need is an ear and a friend.

Little acts could change someone's day completely. Even something as simple as, if you are in the bathroom and you see someone fixing their makeup, tell them they are beautiful.

Buy someone in line behind you a coffee. If you see someone carrying an oversized box, run over and help them. Say hi or good day to someone. Acknowledge their existence, sometimes that's all someone needs.

These actions can make a huge impact on someone’s life. The words “How are you?” can prevent someone from committing suicide that day. Sitting down with someone alone at lunch could keep him or her from running away. Asking if someone wants to study with you can keep him or her from doing something harmful due to stress. Using inclusive words like we or us can make someone finally feel welcome.

The littlest things can save a life, so remember, we all wear these invisible backpacks and the things that weigh us down could also be weighing down someone else.