The Internal Conflict Of Changing Your Major

9
Spyder Trap

When I give campus tours, I always tell my group of future college students that it’s okay if they don’t know what they want their major to be. I assure them that choosing a major is a big decision and therefore it deserves time and consideration before being decided. I also remind them that this big decision is likely to change and evolve in the future too. All of this, I assure them, is completely acceptable.

However, like most of the advice that I give to other people, I didn’t actually believe that this advice applied to me. In my heart, I had always told myself that I knew what I wanted to do, and I was going to stick with it.

I applied to TCU as journalism major and eventually added on a political science minor. The degree plan was just a small part of my ten-year plan to eventually become a successful political correspondent for a news station. I had high hopes, all of which were meticulously organized and planned out.

Journalism seemed like the obvious path to pursue. I love writing and people usually enjoy reading my work. Writing and talking to people both come naturally to me. I work hard in my classes, but journalism seemed like an easy and obvious fit.

However, as I have delved deeper into my classes, I began to feel a tiny whisper of doubt. The nebulous idea of pursuing a law degree eventually popped into my head. I hastily pushed that idea aside, reminding myself that my 10-year plan did not include a trip to law school.

I hate conflict and confrontation. Why would I ever want to pursue a law degree? That was crazy, right?

However, as I began to research law degrees and discussed the possibility with my professors, I realized that law was not so different from journalism. It involved fact finding, talking to people, and writing; all things that I am passionate about.

The desire to fight for the underdog also began to grow inside of me. There was something extremely satisfying about the idea of helping people and fighting for justice. I wanted to use my abilities to help people. I am not good at science or math, so any kind of degree in medicine was out of the question; but maybe a law degree would be a good way to use my talents and abilities to help people in a different way.

As I mulled over my options, I spent many nights crying on the phone with my ever-understanding mother. She assured me that I could do whatever I wanted and that I should pursue a career that I would be passionate about.

Yet, I felt guilty for straying away from the concrete agenda that I had created for my future. Changing the plan is not who I was. Wouldn't I be a failure for "quitting" journalism?

After multiple discussions with my mom, I realized that I should take my own advice. Choosing a major and future career is a huge decision and it is one that may eventually change.

As I have changed as a person, grown up, and discovered more about who I am, my desires for the future have also changed; and that’s not a bad thing. Growing up is about learning about what you like and whom you want to be. Sometimes that process changes what you want to do too.

I must accept that I am not a failure simply because I have changed my mind.

So I have decided to keep my journalism major, but will still ultimately pursue law school after I graduate from TCU. I hope to use the skills that I have learned so far within my journalism program to become a lawyer that can help people. (Hopefully!)

The most important part of this process has not been the decision to pursue law school, but the ability to recognize that I am not a failure for changing my mind. I have realized that my decision to change plans does not equate to failure.

I hope other college students struggling with the same internal conflict can realize that pursuing something that you are passionate about is far more important that sticking with a degree that you don't like. Even if it means a somewhat messy change of plans, it will ultimately be far more gratifying to be involved in something that you are truly excited about.