The Inner Monologue Of A Fifth Year: Intramurals

He doesn't move that way anymore.

10

"Annnnd broomball" the voice said over the P.A. system in the hockey rink.

"I don't know how well this is going to go. I'm not as young and limber as I used to be."

The ball drops and players from both sides scramble for the ball. The game is played on ice and in street shoes. The potential to slip and fall loomed with every step taken, but nobody cared all too much for their own personal safety, especially him.

He entered his fifth season of broomball. His fourth as a player. The previous season, he was the coach of the seemingly incompetent "Mooseheads." No, they didn't show up inebriated to the games, they just lacked the talent of the current team. And due to the tough decision to change head coaches, he was force to comply. The current head coach did keep him on the roster to make up for the lack of experience.

He steps onto the ice for his shift, "Well, here goes nothing.."

His balance and stick handling skills weren't what they used to be. His time yelling at the refs had definitely taken its toll and it showed. It was turnover here, missed pass there, it just didn't look pretty.

After five minutes on the ice, he started to look like his old self, fast and solid on defense. In a flash he races after the ball down the ice, and sliding into the boards shoulder first. He bounces off falling to the ground and quickly gets back up to go play defense.

"That wasn't so bad", he tells himself.

A player from the other team took and the goalie, Jacob Goldman, made an incredible save with his body.

"ATTA BOY, GOLDMAN!!" he shouts.

They break out and head up the ice for a goal in transition.

As his shift ended he was exiting the game, and with his lungs on fire because of the cold air he was breathing in. As he neared the bench he slipped and fell on his butt. Everyone was laughing and so was he. He got up and hobbled to the bench to where he remained for the rest of the game.

The game ended and he congratulated his team on a hard earned victory. As they geared up to leave, Goldman as if he was okay, which he said he would be, but in the back of his mind, he knew he was going to feel that one in the morning.