You Need A Morning AND A Nighttime Routine To Be A Successful Adult

If You Don't Have A Morning And A Nighttime Routine, THAT Is What Needs To Change In 2020

A simple routine will actually make your life so much better, trust me.

303

It's 6 a.m., you're laying in bed, and you're considering whether walking across campus to your 8 a.m. is really worth it. No matter what time we go to bed or wake up, we all experience those lagging mornings when we just don't want to get up. Well, a new year is here and whether you have resolutions or not, it's time we all incorporate some healthy routines into our daily schedules.

Morning routines are important because how you start your day can determine how your day goes. It's what sets the tone for your day. So, if you don't always wake up in a good mood, adding something positive and calming can change that. If it's your resolution to lose weight, a morning workout could be good. Even when you're feeling unproductive and want to fall back into your procrastinating ways (which, believe me, we've all been there), you can incorporate some light work to complete before heading to class.

Nightly routines are just as important because it sets the tone for how you sleep. And if there's one thing I've learned in college, it's that sleep is very, very, very important. It goes hand in hand with overall health, both physical and mental.

Of course, these routines look different for everyone. But the main commonality is that they're based on our goals to improve ourselves. If you're wanting to incorporate some routine in your life but don't know where to start, here's what mine has been so far this year:

Morning: wake up at 7 a.m., full-body stretch, workout, eat breakfast, check emails, check/fill out planner, brush teeth, wash face, do hair, get dressed, get to class early.

Evening: finish homework/studying, eat dinner, shower, brush teeth, wash face, twist hair, full-body stretch.

Of course, sticking to this every single day will be a challenge, but once it becomes a habit and a part of a healthy routine, it'll be like second nature. And it's good to sprinkle in some other things as well, like face masks twice a week and definitely some chill time to catch up on your shows. As long as you feel it's improving you, you'll be headed in the right direction.

As someone once said, "no matter when you wake up, you have 24 hours in a day. So, the point is not WHEN you wake up, it's HOW you wake up and what you do with the hours you spend awake."