The Importance of Having A Cozy Home

The Importance of Having A Cozy Home

Enjoy the space you use to escape.
656

Let's clarify this term “homie home;” this can be in reference to your hole in the wall apartment, single dorm room or your unbelievable 4,000 square foot home. Which ever you may reside, this term is relevant. Homie homes, these are the homes you love to come back to. They are the homes that get the most compliments and are the most enjoyable to be in. And having a homie home really doesn’t take much. You’d be surprised.

As college students, we only have so much cash flow to work with. Filling our wonderful abodes with glorious (and expensive) furniture and accessories is kind of out the question. But having a comfortable and homie home is very much possible.

We all fantasy about what our homes could look like. We’re inspired by friends, our parents, Pinterest and many forms of social media. Which is more than respectable, reasonable and smart!

But we underestimate the little effort and money that it takes to maintain the same type of vibe as these beautiful homes. Not only does a comfortable living environment support success but it increases our overall happiness.

The littlest things within in our surroundings will make our day to day lives turn from average to ideal. To make a home, homie is as simple as hanging that drunk picture of you and your friend from last weekend. Seems minuscule but it’ll be a reoccurring memory on your wall.

Pick one wall. Whether it’s in your personal room, the common area or whatever. And make that the memory wall. Ever time you have a favorite memory, print it out and frame it.

(Printing a photo costs somewhere around .50 cents and depending on the frame, it can be anywhere between $2 and $20) but do it. That one little wall will make your days just a little better. All your favorite memories constantly consuming your mind, how could you ever be upset or distraught about anything?

On top of printing out your favorite memories. Make a habit to make your bed, never have dirty closes that exceed a full laundry basket and never have dirty dishes. This seems so minor, but it’s so important. Your personal space is your temple. If you’re worried about the place you go to escape, you're going to have bad vibes and a harder time being continuously happy.

Print memories. Make your bed. Do your laundry. Do your dishes. Does that really seem that hard?

Lastly, fill the space. If a wall is empty, fill it. Whether it’s with bottles, artwork or more pictures, fill it. Empty area space? No problem. Either find bean bag off the side the road or make a “mediating area”. And I don’t care if you never use your meditation room. It fills the rooms. And the empty area filled, will make you feel better. At least, until you can fill it will something useful. Making a home homie just means making it your own. Loving everything in it and making it your happy place.

Be creative and spend time on the place you call "home." Your mood will be uplifted and you will feel comfortable walking into a place you call your own. Expensive homes are nice, but the best kind of homes are the ones that are the "homiest."