Giving Season Is About So Much More Than Giving Gifts

With all the gift getting, don't forget how meaningful it is to give.

15

It's that magical time of year again, where everything is decked out in red and green and the holiday spirit is everywhere. The countdown has begun for the day when gifts will be opened and we will all end up with more than we likely need. With all the excitement surrounding getting, we have to remember the importance of giving during the holidays.

Growing up, my parents always made sure that my siblings and I understood the importance of giving to those less fortunate than us. We donated time and small portions of our allowance to various organizations throughout the year, but my favorite time to give was Christmas.

Even from a young age, giving gifts to my family was such an exciting thing for me. Drawing pictures for my dad to hang up in his workshop, making my mom beaded bracelets that I was sure she was going to wear, wrapping up stuffed animals to give to my younger siblings only to demand them back hours later; I loved seeing how happy my gifts made them.

I also loved to give gifts that I would never get to see what reaction they caused. Every year, my parents gave through an organization that allowed them to choose different animals or equipment to give to families and villages that were in third world countries. The selections ranged from goats to chickens, cows to wells, water pumps to ducks. I knew I would never get to see how those gifts changed the lives of those families, but it still made me so happy when my parents would ask us what animal we wanted to purchase that year.

Lately, there have been countless suggestions everywhere you look about what to get certain people in your life, covering everyone from family to friends. I challenge you to think of the people who may not be directly in your life and how you might be able to give to them.

There are so many organizations that help those who are struggling across the globe by providing food, clothing, freshwater, and so much more. Monetary donations aren't always possible, but giving the gift of your time can have just as big of an impact.

Giving on a global scale isn't necessarily the only way to give this holiday season. Shelters and soup kitchens are always looking for extra hands to help out with spreading the joy of the season to those that are less fortunate. By just spending a few hours of your day at a local shelter, you can touch the lives of many people.

Another easy way is to donate clothes that no longer fit or you have no more use for. This time of year the weather can be absolutely frigid, and extra layers are always appreciated. By just going through your closet and finding some items to donate, you could be making someone's holidays much cozier.

As the excitement builds as the year comes to an end, it is so important to recognize the vast impact we all can have with seemingly small actions. This year, try to find small ways to give to those whose holiday consist of things as simple as a hot meal. Celebrate the joy of giving, and imagine the smiles of those whose lives you are changing.