The Importance Of Expanding Your Horizons

Expanding your horizons can be scary but it can be so beneficial.

11572

We always here the advice "always expand your horizons" from older, influential figures in our lives, whether it be from family members or even celebrities. When I was younger, I was confused and skeptical as to why I was always being told to make sure I did this. What does expanding your horizons really mean? As I've grown up, I've realized that this is one of the most important lessons I could have been told in my life.

The definition of expanding your horizons usually means learning or experiencing something you never have, or opening yourself up to new ideas and opinions. Now, there are several ways to expand your horizons, even though it may seem some are more common than others. The most common way this metaphor is used is usually though traveling. While I do think that traveling is a very important part of life and am a big fan of the idea and the experiences that come from it, this metaphor can mean so much more.

I believe that this metaphor extends to trying a new club or activity, sitting next to new people in your writing class, getting lunch with one of your acquaintances, or, if you're adventurous, maybe even skydiving. Some of these tasks are obviously easier than others, but even the smallest of these tasks can make you into a more interesting, well-rounded individual.

Expanding your horizons requires courage to abandon your comfort zone and try something new, which can be difficult in a society where most people like to follow the status quo. I encourage you all to try something new and see how it makes you feel. These experiences can often make you more mature and more prepared for the real world.

College is the most important time to expand your horizons. It is also probably the only time you will have enough free time and freedom to do these tasks, such as going skydiving or making new friends. It is also a time to develop and really find yourself and your goals for the future, and what better way to do that than trying new things?

I know expanding your horizons may seem scary and intimidating at first, especially because everyone usually conforms to the ways of society. But, if I could give any advice on this topic, it would be to start out small, ask one of the girls/guys in your class if he/she wants to get dinner at the dining hall. These little things will make a big difference on you as an individual, and you will usually have a fun time doing so anyway. Give it a try, I bet you won't regret it.