The Importance Of Being Humble

The Importance Of Being Humble

Be nice, and don't expect anything in return.

22095
The Importance Of Being Humble
Sam Kenneth Yeskis-West

Being humble in life is important, and there has been a debate recently about what it means to be humble.

Being humble means that you are not boastful or arrogant and that you do not put yourself at a higher position than anyone else. Why is it important to be humble? Usually, the most humble people are also the most generous. Humble people usually don't expect things from other people, but give and love without any expectation of something in return. It is important to be humble because in most situations it is the right thing to do.

When someone is kind to you or does something for you, and they do it out of the kindness of their heart, you show gratitude, right? Well, say someone was simply doing that nice thing for you because they would get gratitude in return? That kind of defeats the purpose of doing a nie thing. People do nice things for each other because they are nice things to do; not because it gives them power. At least that's the way it should be.

Being humble means you do things out of the kindness of your heart, without the expectation of anything in return; even gratitude. That can be a bitter pill to swallow for some people. I hear the "why would I do that if I'm not getting anything out of it" argument all the time. My response is always "because it's called being a decent human being maybe?" Why wouldn't you open the door for someone if their arms are full of boxes, or let someone who has less groceries than you check out first? Isn't that just common sense? Or more simply, just good manners? Say one of your best friends is $5 short on their rent, or their grocery bill? Wouldn't you spot them that $5? What if it was a complete stranger in front of you at the grocery store? Being generous is not a bad thing, and being humble about your generosity is how it supposed to be.

Now, not all people can be this generous all the time, and that's perfectly fine. But not holding the door for someone just because they aren't smiling at you, is just completely rude. Usually, it's the little things that will make someone's day anyway. You don't have to move mountains or part seas. All you have to do is hold the d*** door for someone. Why is it so hard to be nice and humble?