The Ideal Teacher

The Ideal Teacher

Everyone wants to experience the ideal teacher, or at least have an idea of one

3322
The Ideal Teacher
123RF

Did you ever think about what it's like to have 'The' teacher. The kind of teacher who just gets it and loves to be there because they love what they do. The roles of a teacher can be a lot, but it's about the qualities they have that could potentially make them the ideal teacher. The teacher that everyone talks about and has to have as their teacher.

But not just any teacher can be the ideal teacher. One has to achieve it. Some may take longer than others, but knowing multiple students have nothing but good things to say about you will be worth it. And make you feel better about yourself. So if you're a teacher, or on the journey of becoming one, here's a little something to keep in mind.

An ideal teacher should have many qualities. They should try to establish a kind of relationship between them and the minds of their students. They should teach the subjects they are interested in and make the students interested as well, so they don't doze off in the middle of the class or secretly use their phones under the desk. You want to make them like the subject. Show them why you as a teacher like the subject yourself. There has to be some reason why you're teaching it, there must have been some kind of interest if you're teaching the subject to others. Make them like the subject so the class will never be boring. An ideal teacher is a person with a good personality and they teach the class and subject well.

Another thing to take in is the students should feel that their mind is growing. An ideal teacher is one who makes their students think and enhance in creativity. Not only do they pass the information they know to students, but, they develop a love for learning. A love for the subject as well, and if you as a teacher has reached that point with your students it's probably because they like the way you teach, so you'll know you're doing something right.

As students, we all expect things from our teachers. Things like; to not be too strict or yell because we won’t really listen if they yell at us. To teach the students using relatable topics, like connecting world issues or other things with the lesson, and maybe to be a little more strict, but not too strict to teach the lesson well so by the end of class the students have lots more information stored. And it will show that your teacher is pretty serious about them being there.

If a teacher is too let loose, or "really cool" as time goes by the students won't really take it seriously. They'll think that since their teacher is oh so cool they'll get away with a lot, like using their phone in class, or talking amongst each other while a lesson is being taught, and maybe even not showing up to class because since the teacher is super cool they don't even take attendance. Now as a teacher you don't want that. You want to earn some respect, but at the same time you want your students to like you. So it's okay to be cool, but set a bar for yourself and make sure your students know where you draw the line.

It is very important for a teacher to understand the psychology for their students. Every student is different and will react differently to situations. The teacher should never fail to comprehend the needs of a student and does their best to fulfill them. Every teacher should have their own method of teaching. They shouldn’t all use the same techniques because then that would loose the interest of students because they know what to expect. An ideal teacher would have to think of a clever way of teaching their lesson, keeping it real, understandable, and fun. While some students learn the same way, some don't. So if a student is reaching out to you for another approach do your best to assist them.

While there are many other ways to be the ideal teacher, these were just a few things that may help you get to that point, if that's your goal.