The Hunna and Coasts Bring The Heat To Arizona

The best alternative rock matchup since The 1975 and The Neighbourhood

82
Lauren Hernandez

The Hunna and Coasts might be the best touring matchup in the alternative rock world since The Neighborhood and The 1975 went on tour in 2013.

The Hunna and Coasts began their tour together in the United Kingdom, where both bands are from and have a large fan base. After their joint UK tour, the bands left for the States and promoted their music to a smaller fanbase.

Coasts recently released their sophomore album, This Life Vol 1 in the summer of 2017, while the Hunna is in progress of making their sophomore album, Dare. The Hunna has released four singles in preparation for their sophomore album.

On April 4th, the Hunna and Coasts played at the Crescent Ballroom in Phoenix, Arizona. After Courtship played, Coasts performed a total of 10 songs both new and old.

Throughout their set, lead singer, Chris Caines danced away and struggled to adapt to the Arizona heat. Caines had to take off his shoes during Coasts' performance due to the heat and he went on to state he could not believe it gets hotter in Arizona.

Coasts played with a lot of energy and great chemistry. Its no wonder why the audience loved them so much. The band played six songs from their self-titled debut album and four new songs! Of the songs performed, "Tonight," "Oceans," and "Take Me Back Home" were my favorite live, although there was not one bad song.

Coasts sound even better live than on record, which is very hard to do, but with Caines' amazing stage presence and outstanding vocals, the band performs each song to another level. The guitar and drums are very prominent in each song and are performed effortlessly!

After Coasts' performance, The Hunna performed 10 songs from their debut album, 100 and three of their singles from their upcoming album, Dare.

The Hunna led off their performance with hit US single, "You & Me." With loads of energy and much gratitude for the outcome of their first headline tour, The Hunna played a very memorable show.

New singles, "Flickin Your Hair," "Dare," and "Y.D.W.I.W.M." were all performed with such great energy that the audience left more than excited for the new album. The band also performed their classic songs like "Still Got Blood," "Bonfire," and "Bad For You."

The mix of fun and upbeat rock songs with harder and grungier songs not only had the audience dancing and singing the whole night, but it caused the band to have great energy on stage.

Lead singer, Ryan Potter also known as Tino or Valentino performed with such charisma and energy throughout their whole performance. Tino fiercely played the guitar even ending up on his knees a few times! His performance each show makes him the ultimate frontman as his vocals are effortless and he frequently engages with the audience often making a couple jokes.

Guitar player, Daniel Dorney vibed very well on stage with the frontman and played a great guitar throughout the band's performance. The bass was very prominent in every song and the drums were electric!

The Hunna even slowed things down for one song during their set, "Sycamore Tree." The vocals mixed with the audience's iPhone flashlight waves made for a great song. The band even asked for the audience's help during their song, "She's Casual." According to the band, "She's Casual"is usually one of their most intimate and special songs with the crowd.

Overall, The Hunna's performance was outstanding and it was a great way to make their mark on their US audiences. "We Could Be," "Still Got Blood," and "Dare" were definitely my favorite songs live!

I would recommend seeing The Hunna live as they are very humble, grateful for what they do, and treat their fans like family. Coasts is the same way and this is why their joint tour was an outstanding matchup!

Both bands even hung out with fans after the show and took pictures, signed setlists, t-shirts, and albums, and sold merch! I look forward to the release of Dare and when both bands return to the United States!