The Honest Thief

The Honest Thief

Even when telling the truth you can still lose everything you have

49
The Honest Thief
google

I look down at the scar on my left side before I decide to put my red shirt on. A memory flashes through my head and I wince in pain. I was only five that day, I was only five and my father stabbed me with a steak knife. I was only playing with my new Buzz Lightyear toy. The next thing I know I was getting rushed to the hospital. My dad went to jail and I was put into foster care. I went from home to home because they would abuse me just like my father did. I suffer through trauma because of it and I can't trust a soul out there. By the time I was ten I went to a rich family's home. They had adopted me six months later. I'm 25 now and live in my own condominium. Slowly making my way to my closet, I decide which jacket I want to wear. Deciding to go with my black hoodie I throw it on along with a pair of black converse. Heading into the kitchen I grab an apple to eat and my hat. The elevator door opens so I step inside. It goes down several floors before finally reaching the bottom.

"Good Morning Mr. Owens." The doorman says before opening the door for me. My driver pulls up to the curb and opens the back door for me. I climb in and start eating my bagel from Mcdonalds that he picked up. Finishing that up and chugging down the orange juice I look at my files for the day. You might think that working in a big office building is nice but it has its perks. You have to deal with annoying, snotty, spoiled rich brats all day. I mean I'm rich too but come on even I wasn't raised that way. I at least don't think I'm better than everyone else. You're always getting files and reports sent to your office that have to be done before that night.

I walk into the office building and was headed towards the elevator when I hear Alice speak. Alice is one of my many ex girlfriends. Why I have to work with her no clue. "Good Morning Jakey!" "Alice don't call me that." "But Jakey." "Alice quit it or I will get you fired so damn fast it's not funny." With that I leave her with a shocked look on her face and I storm off to the elevator. Why are exes so damn annoying. I make my way all the way to the top floor where my boss is.

"Hey Jake what do you have for me?" I hand him the list of companies who want to have meetings with him and then head to my office down the hall. I think about what i'm going to do tonight. I believe i'm going to hit up a supermarket and then drink my savings away at a bar. I log into the company's computer and go to the website. I file all the complaints customers have given me and so the rest of the faculty will know and fix their mistakes. I work at the biggest toy company across the nation. We make the best toys in the world and our customers are almost always pleased.

After a long day's work I head home to prepare for what's about to happen. I dress myself in all black and grab my facemask off the side table. I walk out of the house and of my own car not needing my driver for his task. I pull up to the Deli supermarket store. I take my gun out from under the seat hiding it in my pants behind me before pulling on my hoodie to cover it up. I throw on my face mask and head inside.

"Give me your money!" I shout at the poor cashier while I point my gun at him. His hands tremble as he tries to open the cash register. He puts all the money in the store in the bag I have and I leave. I change my clothes in the bathroom at a mcdonald's down the street and throw on some cologne. I know you're wondering why a rich guy would rob a store but that's because of my past. I head over to the bar with a little bit of the cash to get drunk for what i've done. When I walk in, there is this beautiful girl just sitting there. I walk over and sit beside her. I ask the guy for a budlight and he goes and gets it for me.

"Hi i'm Jake Owens." I say to this beautiful women. "I'm Morgan Williams." she replies with a sly smile. "How are you doing on this fine night?" "I'm doing good and yourself." "good now that i'm talking to you." She laughs at how cheesy I was and I think is so musical. We talk and drink for hours before she asks if she can come over my place.

At my apartment I forgot I left the money out so I make her sit in he living room while I hide it in the closet along with the face mask. I open my bedroom door and we kiss and make love for hours before we pass out. When I wake up in the morning I cook her some eggs and toast. I walk into the bedroom with it and wake her up with the smell of coffee. She smiles at me and I leave her to eat while I go to make myself eggs. As I'm scrambling them I feel her arms wrap around my waist as she watches me. I kiss her forehead when I finish.

"So what's the plans for today?" "Thats for me to know and your you to find out." She giggles and goes to the bathroom to shower. I pick up around my condominium while I wait for her to get out. I put the dirty clothes by the washer and start it. I put the clothes in along with some gain and downy. I was about to clothes the lid when I hear, "ooo a man who does laundry, that's hot." I chuckle and turn around to face Morgan.

I pick her up and carry her to the bedroom. We snuggle up together and watch the news. She looks damn fine in one of my button up shirts. As i'm listening I hear them say something about a robbery at a supermarket last night. I try to stay calm and just keep my face in Morgan's neck. "Are you okay baby?" she asks me. "Yeah i'm fine." I reply. I get up and let her sleep while I shower.

The hot water feels great as I let it go down my skin. Finishing washing up and washing my hair I think to myself about Morgan. Why is she here? Why is she so interested in me? Could she just want me for my money? Deciding to get out I quickly put on a pair of tan shorts and a red polo. Brushing my teeth and blow drying my hair, Morgan is watching me.

"Do you need something Beautiful?" "No. I just like watching you." "You're such a stalker." She giggles and replies "Only if it involves a hot guy." I blush not knowing what to say back. I take her hand and drag her to the elevator. Im taking her on a nice lunch date in the park. I had my driver pack me a picnic basket and put it in the trunk of the car.
The doorman greets us and opens the door for us. We are walking hand in hand while my driver opens the back door for us. She stares in amazement at everything. "Wait you're rich?" she asks me. "Yeah but I don't like to brag" "There's no way I deserve you." I squeeze her hand in reassurance as I say "Trust me if anything I don't deserve you." \

We arrive at the park and I take her hand and grab the picnic basket from the trunk. We sit in the middle and lay the blanket down before sitting on top. I pull out a wine bottle and two glasses. I pour some in her cup first handing it to her before pouring some in mine. She takes some grapes out of the basket and starts throwing them at me. "Can you catch them in your mouth?" She asks me. "Is that a challenge?" "Yes"

She throws another grape at me and I catch it with my mouth. She giggles at my accomplishments. I feel like I can listen to her laugh forever. She's been acting kind of weird though. She won't sit as close and she keeps looking at me questionably.

"Is everything okay?" I ask. "Um yeah everything's fine." "Are you sure?" She nods looking away from me. I start to wonder what could possibly be wrong. "Are you the thief?" She abruptly asks me. "No. What would make you think that?" "I-I don't know." "Morgan." "Can you take me home now?"

We walk over to the car and he drives us back to my place. I can't believe I lied to her. I should have told her the truth. While she is asleep that night I go to a store to buy some skittles and chocolates to make it up to her but I end up stealing it. I can't stop doing it but now I feel even worse about it.

"Jake did you steal this?" I look down and then respond "No I did not." She looks pleadingly into my eyes, "tell me the truth." "Yes." "How could you do this!" She yells at me. "I-I don't know." "You're so much better than that." "You don't know me Morgan." She leaves in tears and I fall to the floor devastated with my actions. The girl I fell in love with is now gone forever.

A few nights later I hear a knock at my door. I open it up to see a cop and my now ex girlfriend Morgan. "Yes officer." "Is this your girlfriend." "She's my ex sir." "She claims that you've been the one who's been stealing things." "Yes officer." "You are under arrest what you say can be used against you."

I turn around to let him arrest me and I can hear Morgan saying something to me. "I didn't want to do this to you Jake." "Bull crap you didn't." "I truly loved you." "I don't trust you." "Why is that." "I can't tell you." "I know what happened to you, you know. You can't trust a soul because of what your father and other foster homes did to you. You know it's not your damn fault. You should have just let me in." And with that I was just sent away to jail where I will spend the next ten years of my life never to see my one and only true love ever again