The Homeless Heroes Of The Manchester Bombing
Politics

They bolted into action.

6

Since the horrific attack in Manchester, England that killed and injured too many innocent concert go-ers, many have been searching for the positive side of the darkest situation. I've seen a lot of people referencing a famous Mr. Robert quote:

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'”

The stand out helpers, in this case, were people you might not expect: two homeless men, Chris Parker, 33, and Stephen Jones, 35. The pair was near the exit of the concert venue, hoping to get some spare change from any kind souls walking in or out. Suddenly, a blast emanated from the arena, the force so strong it knocked Parker to the ground. Still, Parker didn't let the blast deter his courage, and he ran to help.

Jones told ITV News, “Just because I am homeless doesn’t mean I haven’t got a heart, or I’m not human still."

“It was children,” he further explained. “It was a lot of children with blood all over them and crying and screaming.”

"It had to be done, you had to help, if I didn't help I wouldn't be able to live with myself for walking away and leaving kids like that."

Jones explained how he and another homeless friend held up a woman's legs to stop her from bleeding out until an ambulance came. He also noted how he aided several children in pulling nails out of their bodies.

Parker was also knocked to the ground from the explosion, saying, "I got up and instead of running away my gut instinct was to run back and try and help."

He first helped a young girl, describing: "I saw a little girl ... she had no legs. I wrapped her in one of the merchandise T-shirts."

Later, Parker held an older woman who had sustained traumatic wounds from the explosion. "She passed away in my arms. She was in her 60's and said she had been with her family."

Parker spoke about the horror of the night: "I haven't stopped crying...the most shocking part of it is that it was a kids' concert."

Both men dropped any fears they had for their own safety, and immediately did everything they could to help those who were hurt. They helped and saved the lives of countless people, without expecting any kind of reward. Through the tragedy, the pain, and the heartbreak of this attack, human kindness and love was still able to shine through the helpers. During these times, it is important we notice those who continue to spread positivity, love, and hope throughout the world, even in the darkest moments.

There have been two fundraisers started for these two heroes, if you would like to donate to help these men find homes.

Fund for Chris Parker

Fund for Stephen Jones