The Home Stretch Of Freshman Year, As Told By 'How I Met Your Mother'

Summer is so close I can smell it. But not close enough.

24
typeset-beta.imgix.net

It is crazy to think that at this time in two and a half weeks, I will be home for the summer and I will have *hopefully* successfully completed my freshman year of college. It seems like just yesterday I was moving into my dorm room and meeting the people that were going to become my close friends. The key part of the above is that my freshman year is not over quite yet--I am in the home stretch here and it is crunch time! I wasn't sure that I could do justice to explain what these next couple weeks are going to look like, so I left it to the characters of one of my favorite TV shows of all time: "How I Met Your Mother."

You're going to start off so well! You go to the library like the good student you are, and you pull out your laptop, your notes, etc. But of course, everyone around you won't seem to shut up. Do they not understand that you are trying to get work done?

You're starting to get the hang of things. You're being productive and getting things done, but then you started thinking about the baked mac and cheese at your dining hall and suddenly it's all you can think about...

We all try to stay focused and stay interested in what we're working on or studying for, but, let's be real--it does not take much for us to completely lose interest considerably quickly.

But don't forget! You are so close to the end, you just gotta push through! So, after a little motivation, you go back to work. Then you wind up being up until the very late hours of the night, and slowly but surely your brain starts to fail on you. I think it's time to call it a night.

Suddenly it is Friday night and as much as you know you should stay in and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel that is oh so close... You deserve a break right?

But you're totally smart, and know that going out a second night probably is not the best idea. You should stay in for the night, right? If you do, props to you, but you probably will not have an army backed by your decision.

Yeah, that 8 page research paper isn't going to write itself. Look at the positive, you're 2 pages in!

And then suddenly you are walking into your exam room! You studied you butt off, but, um, when did we ever learn question #8?

Now you made it! You survived! You got the first one out of the way. Go eat some junk food and celebrate before hitting the books for the next exam.

BAM! Before you know it, you took all of your exams and you totally killed them! Turns out studying does pay off, my friends.

Now you are OFFICIALLY free to enjoy the summer--see all you lovely people next semester!