The History Of Spider-Man #2

The History Of Spider-Man #2

Week 2: Power of the Press.

20
The History Of Spider-Man #2
mycomicshop.com

This is an ongoing series. Here is the link to the start of this 42 week journey: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/history-spider-ma...

Week 2: Power of Press.

So, when Uncle Ben died, Peter not only learned responsibility, he also learned that Aunt May was going to struggle hard after the loss of her long-time husband. It became abundantly clear that Peter was going to have to make more celebrity appearances as Spider-Man to keep his Aunt May in good financial state.

For a couple of days, that worked out greatly. It looked as if he was going to do alright and make serious cash with his super powers. However, there was one massive mustached roadblock about to dash this strategy permanently.

Enter J. Jonah Jameson, the Editor in Chief of the Daily Bugle. He begins running stories about how Spider-Man is a freak and should not be trusted. This causes a domino effect of bad public opinion for Spider-Man. Television bookers tell Spider-Man to scram because he became an overnight liability.

J.J.J is one of the biggest pieces to the Spider-Man mythology for a bunch of reasons. He may not be a full-out super villain, but he is Spider-Man's biggest foe. He doesn't have to rob a bank or plan to destroy the world to be a threat. All he needs is his influence and an audience to cause serious damage.

Spider-Man's dynamic with the Daily Bugle is one of the many ways Stan Lee separated him from other superheroes. This made Spider-Man all the more fresh to the eyes of readers. Up to this point, Superheroes were lauded by the press and the public. Stan Lee flipped the Clark Kent dynamic on its ear and did something special. No longer were the days of the superhero persona being applauded over the alter ego. J.J.J's brilliant portrayal in the Sam Rami Spider-Man movies has changed the perception of how the character feels about Peter Parker. In the comics, J.J.J. hypes up Peter Parker while condemning Spider-Man. That's an awesome storytelling element that was brilliantly realized.

Another aspect that's a stroke of brilliance from Stan Lee is the idea of Peter working for the very entity that slams him. Peter realized he is the only person capable of getting good photos of Spider-Man and decides to cash in. There is great irony in that and adds just that extra layer of greatness. J.J.J. will go on and on about how much Spider-Man is a menace and should be stopped, yet while also writing Spider-Man a check.

However, there can't just be non-physical threats for the web-head. Which brings us nicely to next week when will discuss a certain 8-limbed figure who would go on to be the first major Spider-Man villain.