The Hidden Gems Of Winston-Salem

The Hidden Gems Of Winston-Salem

Winston might be a little bit cooler than you thought.

1862
The Hidden Gems Of Winston-Salem
http://www.ourstate.com/airstream/

For those who like to explore — to find the ins and outs of towns, cities and neighborhoods — there’s no better way to learn of your surroundings than by adventuring to the hidden gems of Winston-Salem.

When I ask Wake students what Winston-Salem, as a “college town,” has to offer, I am more often than not disappointed by the answer. The negative rhetoric surrounding Winston-Salem and its lack of glitz is prominent campus-wide, so I felt like it was time to research some on the city’s the lesser known, yet seemingly awesome hidden gems. If you’re ever feeling curious or adventurous, take some time to check out these city-based wonders:

1. The Quarry — Better known as the “Piedmont Quarry,” this hidden lake located off of Reynolds Park Road is a haven of natural beauty. Surrounded by 100-foot cliffs, the quarry’s clear, fresh water and overall vibe will make you feel like you have traveled far beyond Winston-Salem’s borders. If you have a free moment to explore the outdoors, the quarry is an amazing site to see — it won’t disappoint even the harshest Winston-Salem critic.

2. Bath Branch Falls — Located in the heart of Winston-Salem, Bath Branch falls remains a hidden, lesser known treasure of the city. Enraptured in the natural life that grows around it — kudzu and brier for the most part — Bath Branch Falls, according to the Winston-Salem Journal, flows “in the bottom of a deep gorge near the City Yard.” While few people have actually seen Bath Branch Falls, it remains one of the most beautiful, unknown gems the city has to offer.

3. Krankies Coffee Drive-Through — Less than five miles from campus down Reynolda Road, in an area known as “Coffee Park,” this drive-through offers some of the city's best coffee. A small shack that appears more like a broken down motor home than an actual establishment, Krankies is a Winston-Salem hidden gem. With a delightful selection of coffees and pastries, Krankies also promotes city-wide events in the arts, the outdoors, and more.

Every Wednesday, Coffee Park, or the one-mile radius surrounding Krankies, hosts food trucks with selections of all different types of locally made food. My favorite, “The Screaming Radish,” uses local produce to prepare amazing burgers, salads, vegetable medleys and more. If you’re a fan of coffee and freshly made cuisine — check out Krankies drive through for a quick pick me up.

4. The Quiet Pint (or “The Quiet Pint Tavern”) — On 1st street near downtown is a lesser known bar with a perfect balance of rustic and modern interior. With a beautiful set up of hanging lights paired with a countless selection of beers and delicious, well-prepared food, The Quiet Pint is a must-see Winston spot. If you happen to stop by on a warm day, the Quiet Pint offers a large outdoor patio with a laid-back vibe. For what Yelp reviews claims as "arguably the best bloody Mary in Winston," head to The Quiet Pint.

5. Cobblestone Farmer’s Market — Located in Old Salem, this farmer's market offers some of the city’s freshest produce on Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. At the intersection of West & Salt Streets and only about a 10 minute drive from campus, the Cobblestone Farmer’s Market is a great weekend morning escape from the Friday night chaos. With naturally made soaps and fragrances, vegetables, fruit, and other produce, the Cobblestone Market offers a fresh air escape from a typical Pit dinner.

6. Paz Yoga Studio — On Trade St. in downtown Winston, this studio provides an incredible atmosphere for yogis and non-yogis alike. With a wide range of workout classes from the more intensive to the more basic stretching classes, Paz Studios is a hidden treasure embedded within Winston. Not only does Paz provide a safe space to relax and clear your mind, but it provides a discount for Wake Forest students for classes and offers a boutique of quality workout gear. In addition, Paz hosts outdoor classes almost every Sunday in the park adjacent to the studio. If you're in the mood to relax and move your body, or even just enjoy some fresh air, then check out Paz.