To The Guy Who Walked Away

To The Guy Who Walked Away

An open letter to my son's biological father.

618
To The Guy Who Walked Away
allwomenstalk

Dear stranger, Yes, you have a name, but because you are so foreign to me now, the only title fitting seems to be that of just another unfamiliar person. Ironic that I should even say that considering that at one time, you were the one I was prepared to spend the the rest of my life with. Now, interestingly enough, you are just someone that I used to know.

As shocking as this will probably read, I'm actually not writing this to guilt you. I'm sure that deep down you have had plenty of anguish regarding the actions of your past, so I see no need to waste energy on an unalterable situation. Rather, I really just want to thank you.

I get it. We were 17 years old and we weren't ready to bring a child into the world, yet in our immaturity, we still chose to carry forth actions that would harvest in that very thing- a human being. Finding out I was indeed pregnant was terrifying to say the least. But, you decided it wasn't something you could deal with, so you bailed.

I recognize now that you were choosing to follow the example that had been taught to you growing up. You never did have stability. After all, you spent countless nights upset about the fact that your dad didn't want you. It pained you to know that he had moved on with his life and had started a new chapter, one that didn't involve you. How devasting it was when you found out he was fathering another child, all the while knowing that he had abandoned you, his fistborn. However, you still made your choice to leave and honestly, it was the best choice.

My husband and our son have a bond that is like no other, thank you for that. Our son wants to be "just like daddy" when he grows up, thank you for that. That precious child is being raised up under the influence of a man who walks with integrity, thank you for that.

Now, I praise and commend my husband daily for the phenomenonal husband and parent that he is, but had you never left, he could have never stepped up and our son would be missing out on such an incredible father. Yes, because of you, my husband has had the opportunity to model to our son first hand what true love looks like. Forgiveness is a vital part of that example. One day, my husband and I will tell our son of the many things we have recieved forgiveness for and also of the people we have chosen to forgive. You are one of those people. Even in your absence, you have given us the prime opportunity to teach this child to know the beauty of a Father's love. Thank you.

Sincerely, A Mended Mother.