The Grind to Finding Myself

The Grind to Finding Myself

A Sappy Letter to My Future Self

6
The Grind to Finding Myself

As a now 23-year-old I think back to the days in high school or early college when I would lay next to the fire place with my dog and read my Harry Potter book while my mom cooked me dinner. After dinner I would go back to my cozy spot and read for hours until I fell asleep there and eventually I would crawl into bed. I had limited responsibility and it was easy. Now my idea of relaxation is with an ice-cold IPA and some good company after a long day at work. As long as I have those few things and an occasional vacation I know that I'll be okay in life.

Thinking back to those times has made me realize how far I have come as a person between then and now. "The price of greatness is responsibility" - I have since learned. Growing into a young woman I feel that the thing that has shaped me the most is responsibility and my independence, and I am beyond thankful for that.
In younger years my parents would have to beg me to do my homework or to get out of bed in the morning for school. Now I choose to wake up at 5 AM and get a workout in before work because I know that the hour that I set aside for myself to work on myself will feel better than an extra hour of sleep. I wake up everyday with a goal to shape myself into the best possible version of me that I can be.

So this is a letter to my future self, as a reminder to find strength in everyday and to push yourself to create a better tomorrow. I know that person is out there, and I won't stop until I find her. In the meantime, I am thankful for the ability to travel, great company, craft beer, and an occasional helping of nachos for making this journey all the more enjoyable.

Cheers Honey, - here's to making today great and tomorrow even better.