AKA what they should have taught you in high school.

116

I couldn’t wait to leave the dorms, mainly, so I could have my own kitchen, now I’d like to thank the caf…

It’s been a week since I moved my ebullient self- with a lot of help from my mother (thanks mom)- into my first apartment. Or if you must, on campus apartment style dorm, filled with my interior decorating skills from late nights on Pinterest, and big hopes for my new mature(HA!) adult self. It didn’t take long for me to realize that being an adult is not all it’s cracked up to be.

Grocery Shopping
After a long trip to Publix and some extreme couponing, I had just about every on sale and buy one get one free item in my basket. I’m so getting this adulting thing, I say out loud in the Publix parking, when something hit me. Literally. A glass bottle of pasta sauce ruptured in front of me.

Cooking
Aside from the chocolate chips cookies Home Ec taught me to make, I can’t cook. My apartment food is just dorm food cooked on a stove.

Cleaning
Dishwashers are a blessing, that is, if you use them correctly. PSA: Dishwashers are not an alternative to cabinets! You MUST empty them regularly! When you have to start smelling your dishes when you take them out of the dishwasher to use, you’ve lost at adulting.

Things adults do and say
Words such as “taxes” scare me. Not because I have to do them but because I have no idea how! W2, W9, W11. WHATS WITH ALL THE W'S!!!!??? I’m just going to keep my accounting major friends around.

Laundry
My current sleeping arrangement is filled with my freshly dried, and now extremely winkled linens.

Networking
They say as adults we need to network. So I knocked on my neighbors door and added him on Facebook, does that count?

Appointments
For some reason making a dentist appointment challenges the laws of psychics… that is why only moms can do it.

Balancing all of the above and school
Four times setting off the fire alarm, three essays, two tests, and one burnt dinner later, I realize this is not supposed to be easy. If it were easy it wouldn’t be as much fun.