The Great Passion and Creativity of Isaiah Rashad

Rashad's underlying passion and many anxieties are greatly represented in his music.

130
Verge Campus

It is great whenever a artist can portray raw emotion and passion into his music and that is exactly what Isaiah Rashad does. He is a rapper out of Chattanooga, Tennessee. He is a young rapper being only 25 years old and he has already released a couple of mixtapes and an album throughout his career. Rashad was ambitious at a young age, as he would rap seriously with friends starting in the 10th grade, even rapping in closets for the quietness since he could not afford to go to a studio and rap. Rashad is highly gifted being able to do a mix of both rapping and singing. Rashad launched his career to stardom and fame by releasing his highly acclaimed mixtape “Cilvia Demo,” which was a mixtape that expressed parts of his troubled life. The word “Tirade” fits the theme of his latest album as it means an angry speech. His debut album, “The Sun’s Tirade,” showed steps in the right direction and showcased his talents even further.

The release of his project "Cilvia Demo," launched Rashad's career to fame and stardom. It was a great mixtape filled with his many early struggles/hardships, and early ambitions. Rashad is not afraid to lay out his anxieties and hardships into his music, which makes him a great artist. It was a mixtape that portrayed his life. I really admired and enjoyed listening to this project. I thought it had great production and a great story that was told. Personally, I thought it was one of the best projects to come out that year in 2014. It showed that he had great potential and rap ability that was unmatched. The guy can flat out rap. Right from the first song, "Hereditary," we get a booming introduction to the album, where he raps about his father teaching him to, "Drink his pain away, leave somebody, smoke his load and go, taught him he doesn't need nobody, so one time for the caged bird." When an artist can connect with the listener, it is amazing. On this track it connects with myself because I didn't have a father figure growing up so I can feel his pain and emotion. My father in turn is the same as his father was in some ways. On the second song, "Webbie Flow (U Like)," he raps about his early life of working minimum wage jobs and having to grow up fast. For example, "I done grown up for my child sake, black and mild face. Inspire all my local jokers who be quitting that school, they be hating that job, I was hating that too, I was flipping your burger high as a bit***, but i'm cool I think i'm blessed now." On the track "Cilvia Demo" which is what the mixtape is called, the song shows his rap ability and nice lyrics. On this track he talks about the corruption and injustices of society. Being treated unfairly and giving references to the horrible ways of slavery. A line from the track "Cilvia Demo," shows his clever wordplay and rap ability, "She understands her selection, advance her affection, and fears my rejection, never needing a ho." The track even gives a reference to Emmett Till, who was a slave who was killed brutally for doing nothing. On the track "Ronnie Drake," he gives killer verses, "Hope they don't kill you cause you black today, they only feel you when you pass away, the eulogy be so moving, we live the scenes of those movies, conflict in school or dope moving, its so youthful." Here he gives great lyrics of the unfairness of being an African American in today's society, where the color of their skin defines themselves unfairly. back then, people were killed for no reasoning, which is what he is speaking about. Racism existed and still does today unfortunately. He is going against the stereotypes depicted of African Americans either slinging drugs or not being educated. The track "Heavenly Father" is easily one of the best tracks on the mixtape which has great singing and rapping combined. The track references prior thoughts to committing suicide and gives a tribute to his father leaving him and God during the hardest times in his life. He prays to make it past the age of 25 and mentioning his father not being there. He states the problems of money not being able to solve your own problems or find the answer to it. A check is cut and that is it. Rashad sells the idea that money does not buy happiness or fix all your problems, it can make it worse. Either calling him drunk or not loving him. He fears turning into his father, being an alcoholic like him. Alcoholism can run in the family, which he fears. Rashad raps about drinking and smoking way too much. He states that "He drinks liquor like water from the faucet." On the track "Menthol," he raps about the rough times of sleeping on the couch and having barely any income. The featured artist "Jean Deaux," gives a beautiful touching voice to add to the track. Rashad gives more great lyrics down on this track. He adds details of dropping out of school and of having guns pointed at him. He has seen it all and tells the world in despair as it is. All of this in turn changed his life. On the song "Brad Jordan," he gives a line of his own son looking at him like he used to look at his own deadbeat nobody father. The many lyrics in this mixtape hit at home and deep. The project overall was great and really touched me and highlighted Rashad's great ability of both rapping and singing.

Score: "Cilvia Demo"

8.5 out of 10

Isaiah Rashad's song "Smile," is a great song having nice lyrics and emotion. This is what he does very well being able to portray emotion and anxieties into his music clearly. Rashad portrays it as changing himself and making who he is today, a successful rapper who was able to come out on the other side. He wears his anxieties on his sleeveLike other songs he talks about his contemplations of suicide and turning to drugs. On the track he gives props to the people who helped him and the people who did not.

Like many other artists, Rashad's life spiraled down as he started to abuse drugs and alcohol, which almost caused him to get dropped by his label. The word “Tirade” fits the theme of his latest album as it means an angry speech. His debut album “The Sun’s Tirade” showed steps in the right direction and showcased his talents even further.

Although, he straightened his life out and released his newest project, "The Suns Tirade," which was nothing short of excellent. It brought nice jazzy beats and lyrics, followed by good featured artists. This project really embodied parts of his life, of a kid who is always messing up somehow or in some way but who is able to get through it all and succeed. In many of the songs on this album, he states his abuses with drugs and alcohol and being stuck. It is an album that brings self awareness and fixing oneself. In the album he also sends out themes of caring for his son and his family. The cover art with a kid levitating off of a car is interesting and further portrays the power of this album. On the track "4 da squaw," he raps about caring for his son and his only son's problem is the idea of growing up, but also Rashad's fear of growing older.

“The Sun’s Tirade” is a great album that was released on September 2, 2016. The whole project runs at 63 minutes with about 17 songs. The one complaint for me about the album is that it is too lengthy and some songs varied at a low length being one minute to seconds. I also thought the cover art could have been better. It is just a kid hovering over a car; I thought it could have been more creative. The second half of the album also lags in substance and quality. The best songs for me where located in the first half of the album. The second half slows down and I thought it could have been better. I thought some songs were not needed and could have been scrapped or at least added as bonus songs and cut down in length. Nonetheless, the album had many strengths, and I believe it was one of the best rap albums to come out this year. The album solidified eerie themes of growing up harshly, failing in life, doing drugs, and wasting your life away. The second track, “4r Da Squaw,” is a track that talks about the fear of growing up and of it not being such a great thing. He talks about his own kids and struggling to support them and that being his top priority, supporting his kids. In the music video to this song on YouTube he walks with his son on the boardwalk with dollar signs and money above everyone’s heads. He raps on the song about having a son and his son only being afraid of growing up. The third song, “Free Lunch,” is a catchy song that talks about pursuing your dream and going after what you want. The next track, “Wat’s Wrong,” is a great song that talks and goes off on people who don’t believe in you and want you to fail. The great rapper Kendrick Lamar is on the song and gives a killer verse. The track, “Park,” Rashad raps on his early beginnings and struggles. His struggles with his parents not believing in him, not having any money, having kids at a young age. The track, “Bday,” he raps about making it in life and it has some good lines, “The shooter got a reason.” which is very powerful. The song “Silkk Da Shocka,” talks about the temptation of drugs and being close to ruining your life. Rashad raps about his son and about his lover.

My most favorite song on the whole album is “Stuck in the Mud,” which raps about people who have failed in life, people who have had dreams and are stuck, of people who have failed in life. Rashad raps, “Hoes, dreamers, stuck in the mud.” The second half of the track transitions to “Pop a Xanny, make your problems go away.” The sad part is how this is true about our society today. People do abuse drugs and do give up in life. People do get stuck in the mud, being stuck in the same spot. People want to better themselves, but don’t, and they fall into different traps. The track “A Lot” is about getting whatever you want with money: cars, girls, drugs, houses, and other things. The track “AA” raps about drinking and driving, a huge problem seen today. It is a song about the temptations of money. “Dressed like rappers” is a song about longing for love and not wanting to lose anything. He talks about his struggle with depression and of hitting a wall. In real life he got addicted to some drugs and suffered from depression; he was almost kicked off his label for his behavior. He had the feeling of not being able to survive and went through the pain and struggle in his life. He also mentions talking to God and seeking help. He also talks about his own youth being corrupted. A quote that sticks out in my mind from the song is “Little boys dressed like rappers. Can that road make them daddies?” It shows that the youth is going down the wrong path and this is very true. The last track “Find a Topic” closes out the album on a good note talking about his kids being his happiness. But also questions if people use him for what he has. The album gives off sad vibes that are as truthful as ever; the album is really about a kid with so much potential, but a person who is always messing up or getting into trouble.

The production on the whole album is very well done. The album also helps strengthen Rashad’s overall career. The beats have a nice jazzy feel to it and some featuring guitar strings. What I really admire about Rashad is his rapping ability and singing. He raps about his anxieties and wears them on his sleeve. In this album, he really seems to have found his own voice. I also admire the story of his life of his father leaving him, turning to drugs and alcohol, struggling to raise his own kids. These are all sad and normal things some people unfortunately have to deal with. It is inspiring to see he was able to be successful and work hard to become a good rapper. Rashad raps about harsh realities that have substance, he raps about important topics. He is not like other rappers who rap about only getting girls and money. Rashad’s music needs to be listened to closely or you will get lost in the true meaning. He overcame so many struggles, which many people cannot do in life. He thanks God for helping him down the way, never thinking he could ever be successful. Isaiah is able to dig himself out from the holes we was getting stuck in. I can not wait to see more content that he will release being that he is only 25 years old. Rashad built himself up from nothing and that is what this album embodies, a kid who struggles but who is able to get through it all.

Score: "The Sun's Tirade"

8.2 out of 10