The Good, The Bad And The Sarcasm

The Good, The Bad And The Sarcasm

Where is the last place you would expect sarcasm being used?

31
The Good, The Bad And The Sarcasm
Trey Ratcliff/Flickr

Making a mark in history is what everyone strives for. Individually people want to do something great and to leave a legacy behind. However, a generation as a whole always leaves behind of who they were. Each generation is known for something, whether it is literature, music, political statements, or fashion. For example, the 1920s were known for flappers and the 1980s were known for the outrageous fashions. Every generation before us has something truly worth remembering about it. Yet, it bewilders me that this generation will be known for the quick and hateful remarks, we call sarcasm.

Bullying has become a huge issue lately. When people think of bullying, they think of cyber or physical bullying but never think of sarcasm as a form of bullying. Now I understand that sarcasm is a sign of a healthy brain and that it is a natural reaction to something we find redundant. It is usually seen as harmless and funny, however, when the sarcasm directed towards someone is mean and belittles them, it is no longer funny. It has instantly becoming bullying. Whether we realize it or not, all of us have used sarcasm to hurt someone’s feelings.

Where is the last place you would think sarcasm is used? In church, right? However, sarcasm has made a ghastly appearance among the young adults and teenagers in the church. We as Christians are taught to be nice to everyone and accept others as well. We are taught that we are the messengers for the Lord, and we are to spread love and kindness to others. How are we supposed to reach others if they witness our youth using sarcasm and being rude. Sounds like a contradiction, doesn’t it? We preach kindness, but act rude. The youth of our church are the ones who are going to take over the church next, so I propose that we start showing the love that we preach. Living in a small town in the Bible belt, I have experienced sarcasm in the church first hand. The main reason a family goes to a church in the first place is for a good kids or teens ministry. The parents could love the church, but if their child isn’t happy or is feeling unwelcome, then they will leave. Children are already sensitive, why make the one place they are supposed to feel safe and free of judgement, the place they feel it the most?

Taking sarcasm out of your everyday is hard, but you can do it. We have become so accustomed to using it that you think it is impossible. I am not saying to get rid of it completely, because like I said it is a sign of a healthy brain. If you use it just make sure it is not in a way to bring someone down. Let’s make this generation known for the extraordinary care we have for others instead of the generation that uses words and sarcasm to make other people feel small.