The Good, the Bad and the Boldly

The Good, the Bad and the Boldly

10 reasons why you should watch "The Bold Type".

36
The Good, the Bad and the Boldly
Tunefind

In a world that that has people who shame women for every little thing they do, it's no surprise that women like Sarah Watson decide to create media that emphasizes the importance of women working alongside of each other. Not only that, but media that shows women going for what they think they deserve. Which, in case you doubted it, they all deserve great things.

"The Bold Type", is Freeform's newest television series about three young women who live in New York. They are all working for Scarlet Magazine, The Bold Type's own version of Cosmo Magazine. Jane Sloan (Katie Stevens), Kat Edison (Aisha Dee), and Sutton Brady (Meghann Fahy) are three strong, independent women who are taking control of their lives one episode at a time.

If that in itself isn't enough to make you tune in on Tuesday nights, here are 10 reasons why you should watch The Bold Type:

1. The women actually support each other.

Unfortunately, there are too many women in the real world who spend their time knocking other women down so they can reach the top. From the very beginning, you can tell how important it is for these women in The Bold Type to support each other. The magazine, Scarlet, wouldn't function if women were constantly tearing each other down.

2. Katie, Aisha and Meghann play characters that show what a strong, female friendships can look like.

I have always dreamed of having a friendship that's as strong and true as the one that is featured in this show. These three women are always there for each other, and they're just as excited for the others' success as they are their own.

3. A powerful, female boss who is fierce, kind and supportive.

I don't know about you guys, but when I saw this supportive, female boss I was in shock. The first time I saw a powerful, female boss was in the film The Devil Wears Prada and, to be quite frank, she's not very personable. Jacqueline, played by Melora Hardin, is a powerful, get-things-done kind of woman, but she's always kind and supportive.

4. It shows that not only is OK to be LGBT+, but that questioning your sexuality is OK too.

Not only does the show feature a Muslim-lesbian woman named Adena (played by Nikhol Boosheri), it also shows the process of Kat realizing that she has a crush on a woman for the first time. Though this can be life-shaking for some (which is something completely valid and understandable), Kat just rolls with it. Everyone who finds out is really supportive, which is nice to see.

5. The religious, racial and sexuality-based representation that modern television was still missing.

In our world, we lack an understanding of different cultures and identities. The Bold Type seems to have a goal of eliminating that. Adena is a Muslim-lesbian woman who is trying to stay in the United States during the third episode. This show includes her, a woman of color (Kat), and several men of color. There are also instances of sexuality-based representation that we, as an audience, have been informed of with both Kat and Adena.

6. Jane Sloan's honesty about sex.

This is simple: women are typically shamed for their sexual nature, or lack thereof, and Jane chooses to be confident and honest about it.

7. Kat Edison's confidence in everything she does--even when she was being bullied by internet trolls.

Whether it's fighting for a social media reach she believes in, standing up for her friends or telling a woman she likes that she likes her--Kat is confident in it all. Of course there are moments where she's unsure, like when she was being harassed by internet trolls, but she pulls herself back up and fights back confidently.

8. The fact that The Bold Type brings up internet trolls and cyberbullying.

This is so important. Cyberbullying is serious and it's real. In one of the most recent episodes, Kat is standing up to a virtual reality company for their sexist way of thinking and begins to get harassed by Twitter trolls. A lot of us ignore cyberbullying even though most have partook or been a victim of it. The show is able to explain why we shouldn't do it, and how to cope with it if we are cyberbullied.

9. Sutton Brady telling Richard exactly what she wants and what she deserves.

You shouldn't ever get less than what you deserve. It took Sutton a minute to realize that, but she ran with it. Whether it's with a relationship or not, always fight for the things you want and the things you deserve. Don't let people walk all over you.

10. It's based off of the lives of the writers of Cosmo Magazine.

Need I say more? A real show, based off of real people, that was made for all women. Make sure you tune in on Tuesday nights.