5 Reasons You Should Be Watching 'The Good Place'

Ever wonder what happens after you die? Well, NBC's show "The Good Place" has an interesting take on that.

241

Are you looking for a new show to binge over the weekend? Do you want to spend time watching something funny and lighthearted, but also want something that keeps you immersed in twists and a little suspense? Do you want to see a rough around the edges woman end up in a heaven-like utopia after death, only to realize she’s in the wrong place? Well then, NBC’s 2016 television series, The Good Place, just might be the show for you, and here’s why:

1. Unique concept

It’s not every day that you turn on the television and see a show that focuses on the afterlife. The Good Place, however, takes the unique approach of turning an incredibly grim topic into a highly entertaining watch. Even their take on the afterlife is an original one, making the claim that everyone is given a certain amount of points for their good deeds and bad deeds.

Only the best of the best end up in the “Good Place”, while everyone else is doomed to an eternity of suffering in the “Bad Place”. It makes you think twice before you cut off that person in traffic—you don’t want those negative points!

2. Genuinely awesome humor

Did you enjoy the humor in shows like Parks and Recreation or BrooklynNine-Nine? Well then, you’re probably going to love The Good Place, because the creator, Michael Schur, is the writer for all three! That being said, you can be sure that you’ll be busting a gut laughing at almost every minute of every episode!

The humor in The Good Place is always executed flawlessly and never feels forced or out of place. It isn’t heavily reliant on dark humor or dirty humor that much of modern television focus on, either. The laughs you’ll get from The Good Place will feel like a breath of fresh air!

3. Actual moments of suspense in a comedy

Would you believe it if I said there are episodes of a comedy series that actually end on a cliffhanger? Believe it or not, The Good Place has more than one episode like that. Even though it’s just a comedy at face value, the plot line is actually quite intricate and leaves you asking questions and wanting answers by the end of each episode.

This different style of comedic storytelling serves as being very effective in keeping the audience engaged and wanting more. Of course, you aren’t going to see any spoilers here about what those suspenseful moments could be!

4. Likable, diverse characters with development

The cast of The Good Place is nothing short of brilliant. Each and every character offers something unique—from the anxious nerd to the troubled delinquent to the prim and proper rich girl—there’s a character everyone can enjoy. Not to mention the fact that each character is given their own story arc in which they’re able to build their relationships and grow as individuals. All of them are easy to love and you’ll be rooting for each of them as you watch their stories unfold!

5. Kristen Bell

Kristen Bell plays the series’ main character. Need I say more?

Perhaps I didn’t give away too much about the plot of the series, but that’s because it’s a show that needs to speak for itself. It loses its charm if you know too much going in, after all! With that in mind, what are you waiting for? You can go binge all of season one on Netflix now!