The Good Place Review

The Good Place Review

A non-spoiler review of The Good Place!

22
The Good Place Review
Wikimedia

Anything talking about morals and ethical code is automatically going to be a hit in my book. However,The Good Place (which can be viewed through most TV providers) really hit a home run.

From their characters to the ideas and themes, producers Michael Schur, David Miner, Morgan Sackett, and Drew Goddard really created something original and talk-worthy with this show. For anyone who hasn't seen the show, I will try to do my best not to spoil any big secrets, which the show is packed full of.

This comedic show is based around its two main characters: Eleonor and Chidi, cast as Kristen Bell and William Jackson Harper, respectively. They both have died on what we know as Earth and must navigate the afterlife where they both have made it into "the good place."

Whether you believe in religion and/or the afterlife, the show puts on a good mask of showing where they line up on the religious spectrum. One could argue that the show exhibits a faith that is of close variation to Christianity (with a few spin-offs and name changes), but regardless it is less about where they are and more about how to get out.

Following the beloved characters on their adventures keeps the audience entertained as other characters like Tahani Al-Jamil, Jason, and Michael keep things twisted and enticing. In the beginning, none of the characters find the afterlife to be exactly what they expected and are trying to save face during the first episode or so.

If you're anything like me and love to think about what the afterlife could be like or simply love a good laugh, I highly recommend you check out the show and make sure to note your favorite character: it's a debated topic, I promise! The show goes through season four and is gaining popularity every single day, so if you're missing out, take the time to turn on Netflix and binge-watch for the next couple hours.