To The Girls Whose Recruitment Didn't Go As Planned

Maybe you ended up in a sorority you didn't want, and maybe you didn't end up in a sorority. Either way, this one's for you.
144

Sorority recruitment: it's scary and exciting, it seems to be the "end all be all" as far as your social status in college, and it's one of the most stressful weeks of a girl's freshman (or sophomore/junior) year. I went through recruitment at the University of Georgia and was blessed to receive a bid from my favorite sorority. Everything went the way I planned, and I was thrilled.

However, not everyone is as fortunate as I was. Not everyone is happy at the houses they visit during Pref, and not everyone actually makes it to that final round. And while it's easy to blame yourselves or the sororities for these altercations, there are a few things I want to let you know:

1. You didn't do anything wrong.

Absolutely nothing. The Lord made you absolutely perfect in His eyes. Don't ever say "I wasn't pretty enough" or "I wasn't skinny enough" to be in so-and-so sorority, because let's face it, real sororities made up of real girls don't hold that standard upon anyone. Recruitment is hard enough as it is. You have to get up before the sun has even considered rising, hair and makeup to a tee and ready to go to show girls your killer first impression. I can promise you that you are good enough. Don't let a rejection from a sorority tell you differently.

2. The girls in the sorority know which kind of girls would thrive in their new pledge classes.

Trust me on this one. I remember getting cut from one of my favorite houses and being told the next week by one of my friends who was an active member in said sorority, "We just didn't see you finding your future best friends in the pledge class of girls we were going to get." And while that sucked, it makes total sense. Would you really want to be in a sorority with girls you aren't going to be best friends/"sisters" for life with?

3. One person can't sway an entire sorority's opinion.

Sure, I had a few friends in many sororities. But one girl pulling for me wasn't enough to convince 200+ girls to want me to join. It's kind of impossible. So if you didn't get into the sorority your best friend since birth was in, don't be bitter.

4. Your identity isn't found in what letters you wear.

Honestly, I can't stress this enough. This is so applicable to the girls who left recruitment with their favorite letters on their t-shirt and to the girls who left recruitment still wearing their high school basketball team's t-shirt. Sure, being in a sorority is incredible and has given me so many great memories and opportunities. But the Lord's plan for you is so, so much bigger than what group of girls you get to call your sisters.

Before He formed you in the womb, He knew you (Jeremiah 1:5). He has been calling you His since before you were even born. 1 John 3:1-2 says, "See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" Yes, you may be a sister in a certain sorority or just a regular, non-Greek freshman at school. But despite all of the labels that this world is going to put on you, you are a child of God. You are His first love, His favorite late-night conversation, His biggest concern, and His friend. And that matters SO much more than any title we can earn on this earth.

So, to the ladies whose recruitment didn't necessarily go the way as planned: be hopeful. Know that He is working, and His plan for you is so much greater than you know. Make the best of this life because I promise you, your time at college is going to be the sweetest years of your life. And no lack of letters on your t-shirt will be able to compare to what's in store for you.