To The Girl Who Feels Inadequate

To The Girl Who Feels Inadequate

"Comparison is the thief of joy." – Theodore Roosevelt
38

Seeing as you clicked on this article, I'm assuming you may be feeling in some way or another like you aren't enough. Insecurity and struggle with self-worth are something that affect us all. To all of you who may feel like you just don't add up, I'm here to tell you that you aren't alone. I'm also here to tell you that it's not true.

The best way to destroy all the good life has for you is through comparison. In a society like this one that's entirely focused on social media and online appearance, it's hard not to wish for "more" or "better." It's hard not to look at a gorgeous girl on Instagram and then instantly feel disappointed at your own reflection. My dear, you were not meant to live her life. You were meant to live yours.

Psalm 139:14 "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."

Fearfully and wonderfully made! God looked down at this Earth and decided it just was not complete without you in it. You are made in His image. You are here to tell your own story and to radiate your own beauty. It's hard not to compare when you feel like you aren't as smart, or as pretty, or as wealthy, or as (insert anything here) as someone else, but the thing is you were not meant to be. You were meant to be you; you are a masterpiece all your own.

1 Corinthians 11:1 "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ."

The only One we should compare ourselves to is the One who had a hand in making us. Instead of worrying about how you can add up to the airbrushed perfection we see in the magazines, worry about how you can live up to His image. Be kind. Be loving. Be generous. Be faithful. Be unlike this world. Do your best and be your best, because you are enough. A life that seems perfect never is because no one's life is perfect.

Social media is a place to put all the best times of your life, the best pictures and the best accomplishments, but we ALL fall down. We all fail tests, we all break out and gain some weight here and there, we all compare and none of us are gracious and loving one hundred percent of the time. It's okay, because we are all doing the best we can. The most beautiful person in the world and the smartest person in the world and even the kindest person in the world can still learn something from you. Why? Because you were fearfully and wonderfully made, and no other person in the world brings to this Earth what you can. No one has your story, your heart, or your mind.

With all this being said, the next time you find yourself dealing with the devil of comparison, stop and read these verses. Look at yourself in the mirror, and choose to see all of the beauty that you are; beauty that radiates from the inside out, and beauty that will only ever be yours. You are enough; you are enough and then some. Wake up every day knowing that no one else, past or present, could ever replace you or your unique purpose.

Cover Image Credit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIwrm97rnMAhWJOSYKHbbuAwAQjB0IBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbreathingtree.co.uk%2Ftag%2Finner-beauty%2F&bvm=bv.121070826,d.dmo&psig=AFQjCNEkfkLxCFeJc2uSk_8HdFSdoiYr7Q&ust=1462225983426534