To The Girl Who Doesn't Want to Change Her Last Name

To The Girl Who Doesn’t Want To Change Her Last Name,

The venue’s booked. The cake has been tasted. All that awaits is that day the you because Mr & Mrs His Last Name. Cold feet? Not a chance. But I still can’t understand how coming into 2018, marriage is still a possession, where you become his property.

Twenty five years of creating my identity. Over eighteen years of schooling, creating the person I want to become. Trying to establish myself to be different than my siblings. Trying to become the change that we speak about in the world.

Three years of post-grad life creating a name for myself in my workplace. Finally being known as Ms. Her-last-name. All that pride when your first major project gets published in the paper, giving you full credit.

And along that time, you fell in love. You found your soul mate, your happily ever after. So why are you struggling so hard to start the name change process? I am the last of my family tree. After me, my family name dies out. How can it be, that generations of my last name has suddenly come to an end? What happens to all the work I’ve done? A basic Google search with my new name gives me nothing to show. Everything with my last name is suddenly in the shadow to his last name.

Well girl who doesn’t want to change her last name, simple as that, you don’t have to. Marriage is where two become one, however, you don’t need the same last name to symbolize that. Strive on girl who doesn’t want to change her last name. And in the end if you do decide to become Mrs. His Last Name, you shouldn't feel bad about that either.

Sincerly,

Pop the champagne, I guess I'm changing my last name