The Generation Of The Uninformed

The Generation Of The Uninformed

It's time to learn more about the world.

1634
The Generation Of The Uninformed

I spent last Friday night munching on Reese's and burnt popcorn while half completing my homework, half partaking in conversation with friends in our common room. We swapped stories of our days, each of us expressing the difficulty of our classes and how behind we felt although it was only the third week of the term. I pointed out that being a student is challenging not only because of the exams, the deadlines and the expectations, but because we are expected to achieve so much more. While discussing this, one of my friends claimed that she was given an unexpected pop quiz in one of her classes that day. The professor asked them 10 questions relating to current events, which ranged from who the top republican candidates are to what recently happened in Michigan. She then informed us that most of the class did poorly on the quiz, as very few knew the answers to questions that had nothing to do with the classes they were taking.

Being a student today absolutely requires more time, effort and vigor than ever before. We are expected to achieve perfect grades, be involved in 500 clubs, get a great internship each summer, volunteer weekly, and, most importantly, remain sane. Whether it's because the invention of technology that provides us with information at the touch of a button or that the stakes have just simply risen, there is a lot expected out of us and it can be daunting trying to figure it all out. That being said, I am not sticking up for those who did not know the answers to that quiz. Yes, the work of being a student absorbs all free time, but this should not be mistaken as a valid excuse to have no clue about what is going on in the world.

From a very young age, my dad and mom instilled in me the importance of learning about the world. My dad often left cutouts of articles on my bed stand about topics he knew I was interested in and other areas that he also wanted me to stay updated on: a recent discovery of a star, an interview with a senator, a debate on the health benefits of soy. My parents knew the importance of establishing a sturdy foundation of awareness in my sister and me, and for that I am thankful. However, that is not to say that I am educated about worldly events half as much as I should be. Again, it is very difficult to pencil in time in our daily schedules to commit to reading the New York Times or The Atlantic. However, I think there are ways catered to the younger generation that enables us to stay updated. Instead of watching that episode on Netflix or scrolling through Instagram on your phone, we should devote those 10 minutes to catching up on what’s going on. Here are a few steps I have taken that I suggest to you to stay in the loop:

1. Sign up for TheSkimm. My sister told me about this daily email newsletter several years ago and I have been hooked ever since. TheSkimm is a great way to get your daily fix of news; it's quick yet informative. Anyone can block out 5-10 minutes of their day to read it.

2. Snapchat stories. With Snapchat being the hottest app right now, it's understandable that the innovative company integrated news sources such as National Geographic and Vox. Now it’s easier than ever to snap your best friend a pic of your beautiful face and read a quick article on immigration policy.

3. Read your good ol’ school’s newspaper. I know this isn’t a technological source of information like the other two, but there is no better insight you can get than by reading what your fellow student body has to say about particular issues. You stay informed while also supporting the newspaper provided by fellow students.

Happy reading!