The Generation Of Kindness

The Generation Of Kindness

In a world that isn't always accepting and loving, it is our duty to humanity to spread kindness.

59

Growing up, I was taught to give unrequitedly. I was raised on the fundamentals of compassion and empathy (two things this world is in a shortage of) and was told to never tire of being a good person.

Kindness is a choice. One that is the best choice in ultimately any situation. In a world where you have the freedom to determine who you are and who your experiences will lead you to be, chose to be kind.

Our generation is witnessing and discovering enough intolerance and animosity to suffice for an eternity. We are watching as children are separated from their families, as hate-driven individuals coldly murder mass groups of innocent people in yoga studios, schools, concerts etc., and we are spectators and victims of natural disasters, poverty, and racial/sexual oppression.

But, in a world seeming plagued with the bad, our generation partakes in and inspires the good.

We watched as a group of students paved the way for gun reform and joined together to fight the most powerful, silencing voices in charge of our nation.

We marched for women of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic stance, and class.

We create.

We sing.

We dance.

We advocate.

We inspire.

We are the generation of kindness and compassion.

We are the generation that will conclusively lead other generations and non-believers towards a more understanding, loving direction.

We must accept this position that is being handed to us. We have the power to evoke a movement. Our time isn't coming, it is here. We are not too young. We are not too fragile. We are not the "me" generation.

We are the generation of getting up off of our asses and fighting for what we believe in, whatever that may be.

We have a job to do; to spread kindness.

Time and time again, we see the love conquer the hate. We see the deep grief and gaping holes tragedies leave become mended by the unifying force of kindness. Transmit happiness wherever you go and give without expecting in return. Speak with thoughtful, gentle, but impactful words. And never tire of being a good person.