Your Future Should Scare You, It's A Good Thing

A dreamer needs to be a doer.
42

The future should scare you. Your future should scare you even more. Why? Because almost every single aspect of is it unpredictable. Yet at the same time, it is completely controllable if you choose to make it so. You can’t predict exactly what will happen tomorrow, next year, or even a decade from now. You think you will be successful in a decade? Sure, you can try to predict that, but it won’t be guaranteed unless you put in the work to control that part of your future.

I have always admired the quote, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams,” by Eleanor Roosevelt because it showcases the idea of the strength of the power of a dreamer. Unfortunately, that strength can only go so far when the dream only stays in the mind of that one person. If it doesn’t make an appearance in the real world to manifest itself, nothing will come of that dream and it will stay as it is: just a dream.

A dreamer needs to be a doer. If you want your dream to be your future, then you have to work for it. I bet you have heard that one before. Actions lead to results, and without results then there is no celebration ceremony at the end of the day when you get to look back on your life and say to yourself, “Wow, I did it. I did all that I knew I could.” Each day I imagine how incredible that feeling would be.

Whenever I think about my future, I get nervous. Not just regular nervous, but full body tingling nervous. I am not afraid to admit that it frightens me to no end. As a college student, there are still so many paths I can take, and sometimes it can be hard to decide which one is the right one. At the ripe old age of 20, I have the world in front of me, yet I have no idea what to do with it. I have dreams just like you and everyone else.

What if I don’t do this or that or I don't come close to becoming the exact person that I want to be? Well, then that means I might not have tried hard enough. If the future belongs to those who believe in their dreams and work incredibly hard towards those dreams, then the future is theirs for the taking. It is theirs to grasp in their hands and thrust high into the air to celebrate all that they have accomplished throughout their lifetime.

That is why you should be scared of your future. If you don’t work for it, then you have no claim and in the end, it isn’t yours for the taking. Work hard, dream big, and don’t you dare ever give up if you want that future to belong to you, the dreamer that did something with their dream.