The Future of Music: Featuring Darion Harris

A View Through the Mind of a Young Artist

48

Though still early, 2017 is shaping up to be an integral year for "the kids" (Coined by Kanye West). It seems like everyday more young individuals turn to creativity. I believe that the millennial generation is finally in the position to control and shape the future of the music industry. We are at a point in time where artist's like Migos are not as ethnically specified. Though a subset of African American culture through origin, their music has transcended into a reflection of human art. As a new wave of artists grow by the minute, the culture of music will change inevitably change.

As a witness to this musical revolution, I had a chance to interview (As seen below) a young artist currently making his mark. In an older article published last year (The Sounds of Millennials: The Power In Independent Artistry) I had a chance to feature Darion Harris, a rapper and producer from Harlem. Since I last wrote about Harris, he's created his own label (Soire Records), and even has an artist under it (Absent Nabi). In his latest project titled Fantasia's Fate (Released Jan 20, 2017), Darion and Nabi created a wonderland of genres that collide together like crashing waves. The seven track piece is like a personal symphony that anyone can listen to and take something away from. I truly enjoyed the album especially the tracks "Gorgeous" and "Don't Need Me". I recommend anybody and everybody to listen to this project.

What inspired the tracks for this album?

"The people and relationships I have had in my life contribute the most to my songwriting. Since I see myself as more of a writer first and foremost the process of making songs has been a way for me to channel what I’m otherwise unable to say to someone, or even myself too. I try my best to create a narrative in my songs"

What emotion do you rely on the most when making your art?

"Definitely fear. A lot of times the songs I make end up being more of a therapeutic process for me than anything. I’m a pretty shy and reserved person so I see my music as the way for me to both heal myself and become comfortable with my flaws in front of others. (Absent Nabi said)"

Where do you see yourself as an artist in the next 5 years?

"I try to think it's hard for me to think that far ahead you .. I just focus on pushing myself to try to new things and expressing myself to best of my ability"

Do you feel production value often overshadows lyricism in contemporary hip hop, and if so why?

"I find this question very funny I think hip hop is expanding. I know a lot of people get annoyed by the music out right now, but I think they need to understand that's just a product of the times we live in you know"

Who inspires your artwork?

"To be honest my girlfriend, my family, my friends inspire me. I spend majority of time with them experimenting with new things. My music stems from love"

What should listeners look to in the future from you?

"Well, I am starting a label called Soire Records and got one artist under me called Absent Nabi. I'll be looking to add people to my roster, but in the future, just know I'll be dabbling more in other genres other than hip hop. Lowkey, house and flamenco are the wave"

I know in my previous article on you said some of your influences were chance, Gambino, etc. has that changed or have you gained any new influences for this project?

"Tame impala is ridiculous. They really inspired me to get better with my sounds. Tbh all my friends inspire make dope music, like Austin Crute and NXGN. You'll know those names very soon"

Lastly, do you feel like you appeal to the youth a.k.a "the kids" or just humanity overall?
"Art is for everyone to enjoy I just so happen to be young right now you know? I just don't like titling stuff cause that's how you box yourself in. I'm just tryna shift the way we do things in this industry"