To The Friends I Left Behind When I Transferred

You made my experience at college everything I wanted it to be.

483
Finger Lakes Daily News

I do not even know where to begin in this letter.

You have given me the college memories of a lifetime. I reflect all the time on the moments I spent with you and to this day, they are still my favorite memories to reminisce.

Deciding to transfer was the hardest decision I ever had to make. Of course I loved my job, my coworkers, and my boss. I had created some great bonds with some of my professors. But, the relationship I created with you is what made college so worthwhile.

My first year of college, I was an hour and a half away from home, but I never seemed to feel homesick. It was not until I transferred to a fancy 4-year school that was only about 35 minutes away from my hometown that I really started to feel homesick and it is because I found a home within you.

I remember being so nervous to start my new life at college because it was so far away and I did not know anyone that had chosen the school I did, but that first day, I created so many amazing friendships and throughout the semester, we grew closer.

Yes, there were many drunken nights and some of those nights were fun and magical, but we never needed to drink to have fun. We had fun being ourselves, talking, dancing. My favorite moments with you were sober moments.

When I transferred, I knew there would come a time where we drifted and we would no longer talk, but I do not think I was ready for it. I was not ready to let you go.

I have been here for two years now and finding my place has been difficult. I never had to find my place with you. Everything fell into place for me. I became a part of something that I wish I was still a part of.

I still check up on you on social media and I see you with our friends that stayed and a part of me feels so happy to see you doing so well, but a part of me feels so jealous and so lost. I have wanted to visit a few times but I realize that I am no longer a part of your life anymore, but that is okay because I understand that people move on.

I still look through my pictures occasionally and I can't help but smile to myself and think, "Yeah, I remember that day vividly." I show my new friends and I wish I could transport my memories to them so they can remember the same things I remember instead of nodding their heads and smiling at me. I wish they could have been there to see the life I had before I came here.

Leaving you behind was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but I wanted to further my education. I have yet to find friendships as pure as with you.

When I grow old, I will show the same pictures and videos to my children and grandchildren so they will have a piece of the life I was once a part of.