To The Friends I'll Miss Over The Summer

Does distance really make the heart grow fonder?

16
Kelly Crandall

I’m going to miss you all so much. It breaks my heart thinking of the coming months where I won’t see you every day. How will I survive without our lunch dates, watching movies when we should be studying, pulling all-nighters together to make up for slacking off the previous night, or just running into each other every day.

I’m going to miss the squad group chat blowing up at midnight when we start to get cravings for Taco Bell. Those texts are just not going to happen over the summer. Sure, we’ll talk occasionally, but not like we do now. Don’t forget to let me know how you’re doing and keep me updated on what your siblings did to piss you off.

I’m going to miss staying up all night for no good reason. Whether we decided to have a movie marathon, or ate food way too late and now our stomachs hurt, or we’re just chatting, I’m going to miss you. We’re going to be scattered all over the world, rather than just a five-minute walk across the quad.

However, I’m not too sad. I know that your summer is going to be amazing. You’re going home to your family and friends, you’re starting that new internship or job, you’re traveling the world, or staying here at school for the summer. I know that you will have so much fun and that when we get back in August, you will have a million stories for me, and I’ll have the same. The thing is, friends don’t have to be five minutes away for the friendship to last. It doesn’t matter if you’re a four-hour car ride away, four states away, or even on another continent; we’re still friends and that won’t change.

Maybe we should be grateful; we aren’t graduating yet and we’re definitely going to see each other again. One day, we’re going to leave and we might never reunite. We should count our blessings and make the time left at college count. One day we will look back at the photos and remember the days where we were inseparable.

For now, the summer is going to suck without my friends, but it’s only temporary. Summer is for making memories, meeting new people and taking it easy. Sure the squad probably won’t be there, but hey, that’s life. Come August, we will see each other for the first time in months and we will jump, scream, hug and suddenly the months will have melted away and it’s the same as always, maybe even better. The cliche is that distance makes the heart grow fonder, and hell, maybe it’s true.