The Freedom Of Dorm Room Decor

The Freedom Of Dorm Room Decor

Why it rocks!

5
The Freedom Of Dorm Room Decor
author - personal photo

Moving-in was hectic, yes. But, the actual decoration of your new room is freeing and magical. You can hang whatever you want on your walls -- maybe even using push pins -- pick out your own bedding, and create a space you love.

For me, while I always had some freedom for the decoration for my bedroom, it has never been this free. Now, I have things hanging down from the ceilings, not just on the walls.

While this dorm room is just a 13 x 13-foot square, it is an extension of my new found freedom that college has to offer me to be an individual and express my creativity.

My room includes an American flag, as I am a patriot, a huge wall tapestry that is then filled with photos of my friends and family, a 3D ceiling tapestry that when I put the glasses on it pops, and a cart with my coffee maker and a CD player (oops, maybe I am still stuck in 2005).

Basically I have covered the beige walls with colorful DIY projects and pretty things I found in all sorts of places, from a Hippie store in New Hampshire to the usual "Bed Bath and Beyond."

I tried to keep my desk mostly for studying, with limited decor, but it includes frames of my brother and I, as well as photos with friends, and a huge glass wine bottle that I bedazzled. 6 hours with a hot glue gun and a lot of plastic gems can really pay off.

Now, whether you are like me and spend days DIYing and crafting up a storm, or you have tons of cool posters you found, you should feel free to express yourself in your dorm. When I look up from typing, I see my photo "chandelier" which includes photos with some of my favorite people. All of my decor either reminds me of home, cheers me up, or both.

And you shouldn't be afraid to go crazy with decor. Do NOT hold back! Let your freak flag fly! I have a canvas with my favorite Gatsby quote on it hanging, and while some people may find this nerdy, I love it.

So go crazy! Use Pinterest if you want! It doesn't have to be perfect or look like it's from a catalog. It just has to be yours and you should love it!