The Five Phases of Returning to School

The Five Phases of Returning to School

72
The Five Phases of Returning to School

With the return to school for second semester, comes a rush of different emotions. You're excited to be back with your friends, while also sad to leave your bed, shower and family at home. You're eager to return to your roommate and yet are dreading the piles of work that await you in the second semester. Your move in experience might be different than mine, however I have noticed some phases that my friends and I have gone through. While I'm not positive that you will experience every phase, I think you might experience one or more upon your return for the second semester.

1. The I am so excited I cannot even handle it phase

During this phase, the student will experience overwhelming excitement. You might find yourself being irrationally pumped about eating in the dining hall or watching a silly movie with your friends. This is the initial phase in your return to school.

Symptoms may include never-ending smiles and high risk for FOMO (fear of missing out).

2. The fill my schedule so work isn't real phase

During this phase, the student will ignore responsibility. While similar to the I am so excited I cannot even handle it phase, they will try desperately to make plans at any given day and time. 3:30 on a Wednesday? Sounds like the perfect time for a two-hour road trip even though I have a test tomorrow.

Symptoms may include making random plans and being ready to go to Target five minutes after leaving Publix.

3. The I refuse to take responsibility phase

More commonly known as the denial phase, at this point the student will flatly ignore responsibility and refuse to get work done. They will at some point, allow all this to catch up with them.

Symptoms may include running away when anyone talks about school work.

4. The fine I guess I'll start doing school again phase

At this point, the student will finally accept that school is back in session. They will reappear in the library or their favorite study spot. They will stop trying to make random plans all the time and start resembling a normal student again.

Symptoms may include stress due to all the work they have been ignoring.

5. The let's party and boogy because we are back phase

After going through the first four phases, the student will come to realize how school is finally back in session. Everything is normal and the second semester is going to be pretty fantastic.

Symptoms may include loving your school and friends more than ever before.