Harriet used her position as First Lady to promote her three favorite philanthropic causes

Harriet Lane Was The Unmarried First Lady Loved By The Royal Family

Which First Lady made the biggest impression on the royal family?

422

The President and family went to Europe this past week for the 75th anniversary of "D-Day." America watched the pomp and circumstance the military from France, England, and America could muster for this solemn occasion. The blunders, as well as the never-ending comedy that comes from watching this family interact with royalty, is as embarrassing as inviting your red-neck uncle that won the lottery to your daughter's wedding.

I wondered though, which First Lady made the biggest impression on the royal family? What I did not expect to learn is that it was from the bachelor President James Buchanan. Some may argue Jackie Kennedy was first in line for that title, but they are mistaken. Harriet Lane, the niece of President Buchanan, is the "Jackie Kennedy" of the 1860s.

There have been nine First Ladies that were not married to the President of the United States. Eight of the Presidents were widowers. However, James Buchanan was a confirmed bachelor and Harriet Lane was his niece and took the reigns as "The First Lady," with grace and dignity, from 1857 to 1861.

Harriet's mother died when she was 8 years old and her father passed away three years later. James Buchanan became the legal guardian to Harriet. Ensuring she had the best education and when Harriet was old enough, she became a traveling companion with her uncle as he was sent to diplomatic positions in other countries by elected presidents that worried Buchanan might get nominated and elect them out of office.

During Buchanan's political career he was assigned to serve as the Minister to the Court of St. James from 1853 to 1856 by President Pierce. However, he was a bachelor and the Pierce advised Buchanan to appoint a lady to serve as his hostess. Buchanan immediately called upon his niece to fill the unpaid position. During Harriet's tenure in England, she blossomed into a prominent fixture in the social circle of the royal family. Harriet and her Uncle dined frequently with Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The Queen was so impressed with Harriet she gave her the title, "Honorary Ambassadress."

Harriet like Jackie Kennedy style was copied by many American women. Her first official appearance as the first lady was at the inaugural ball and she wore a gown with a lowered neckline that brought attention to her beauty. She had strawberry blonde hair and velvet blue eyes, and the baby blue gown on her youthful stature was refreshing after the past first lady that was in mourning for the previous four years.

During Buchanan's term as President, he dealt with a country in turmoil. Two days after his inaugural the Supreme Court handed down the Dred Scott decision. The most controversial decision of the time. https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/dred-scott-case. This decision prevented Buchanan from avoiding the issue of slavery during his term. Buchanan believed in the constitution and enforced the decision that caused the Democratic Party to split.

"The 26-year-old Harriet Lane, whose beauty and grace won the admiration of many in Europe, was the Bachelor President's obvious choice for an official presidential hostess, and women all over the United States loved her immediately. Not since Dolly Madison, had a woman in her position been so popular. Reporting from the inauguration, the press gave Harriet Lane the title "Democratic Queen."And she was the first woman in the United States to be referred to as "First Lady."The title was first bestowed on Lane by Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper in 1860, "the lady of the White House, and by courtesy, the first lady of the land." One contemporary judged her as the perfect combination of "deference and grace."She established fashion trends, which was a first for a first lady, and the popular song "Listen to the Mockingbird" was written in her honor. In an account published in The Washington Post in 1892, she was recalled as "'The Golden Beauty,' as she stood beside the courtly gray old man, the President." Stern, Milton. Harriet Lane, America's First Lady.

Maybe Jackie Kennedy took a page from Harriet's journal of life in the White House. The first thing Harriet did as a hostess of the White House was to dismiss all the slave workers and hired workers who were predominantly Irish or German. She was also a big supporter of the arts like Jackie and began concert nights at the White House with popular American artists.

In addition, Harriet, like Jackie began refurbishing furniture and fixtures in an old dilapidated house that needed to be updated to preserve the social needs of their society. Plus, Harriet diplomatic nature kept the north and south politicians separated during weekly social engagements at the White House.

Harriet used her position as First Lady to promote her three favorite philanthropic causes: hospital reform, prison reform, and the plight of the American Indians. She was declared "the Great Mother of the Indians," by the Chippewa because of the efforts.

Harriet's life of tragedy lasted from a young girl through her married life. Becoming a widow in 1884 and losing her two sons' years apart from each other. At the age of 54, Harriet Lane was alone for the first time in her life and she returned to Washington. Her close relationship with Frances Folsom Cleveland was publicized for years. She also tried for years to remove the tarnish of her uncle's legacy. It was not until 1930 that the memorial she bequeathed in her will was honored.