It Takes A Strong Woman To Serve As The First Lady Of The United States

Did you know the term "First Lady" is not an official title?

149

Did you know the term "First Lady" is not an official title? According to www.firstladies.org, it started with Martha Washington by calling her "Lady Washington" because of the British-American culture of the land during that time. President Zachery Taylor eulogized Dolley Madison as the "first lady of the land." Ten years later, Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper used the title in print for the first time, in reference to President Buchanan's niece Harriet. Not being his wife they had no other way to characterize her role in the White House.

It takes a certain kind of woman to give her personal and professional life to serve her family and the families of the United States along with the President. While the Presidents did their jobs the four women below carved new paths for the next First Wife and all women of the United States.

Edith Roosevelt was the second of Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States. She is famous for institutionalizing the duties of the first lady by hiring the first federal-salaried social secretary. Edith was also the wife that put the portraits of the preceding first ladies on the ground floor of the White House.

Edith and Theodore created the West Wing for the first family to have more privacy in the living quarters of the White House. Edith also took on the challenge of updating the interior of the mansion and along with an architect firm, she removed the ornate dark velvets and fringes changing it to classical lines and colors.

However, Edith's greatest contribution was her relationship with Cecil Spring-Rice the British Ambassador to the United States. Because, through continual correspondence, Theodore was able to mediate an end to the Russo-Japanese War with the Treaty of Portsmouth. Which in turn, earned him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1906.

Edith Wilson was the second wife of Woodrow Wilson the 28th President of the United States. Edith could trace her heritage back to Pocahontas and was a wealthy widow when she met the recent widower, Woodrow Wilson. They married quickly under public scrutiny. Edith never left Woodrow's side and had access to classified documents and even the secret wartime codes. At times, she denied access to the president from certain political and foreign figures that criticized her relationship with her husband.

Edith was instrumental in the negotiations and signing the Versailles Treaty and his representation of the League of Nations.

When Woodrow had a massive stroke in October 1919, Edith began making decisions on behalf of her husband. It has been said, she was the first "First Lady President." Edith called the time helping Woodrow through his illness "Stewardship," as she reviewed all documents prior to the president, made notes and ordered firings of many that tried to usurp her authority. For example, when the Secretary of State had a Cabinet meeting without Woodrow's authorization he was fired.

Edith was a passionate woman and loved her husband deeply, her strength to take charge in a man's environment is commendable though most at that time would criticize her and call her intrusive and incapable.

My memory of Lady Bird Johnson is her goal as First Lady to beautify the highways with flowers. Lady Bird was the wife of Lyndon B. Johnson, the 36th President of the United States. Lady Bird was the financial backing for Lyndon's first congressional campaign. She also purchased a radio station in Austin that became profitable under her management.

Lady Bird did not like public speaking but took several courses to overcome her fears and became an exceptional speaker for Lyndon as well as the Kennedy's in 1960. Lady Bird took on the south when her husband ran for his second term and backed his stand on civil rights. She started the "Head Start" aiming to provide aid to disadvantaged preschool children. She pressured Congress to pass the Highway Beautification Bill and in 1965 after much criticism and a watered-down version of the bill was passed.

Laura Bush is married to George W. Bush, the 43rd President of the United States. Laura is known for her advocacy of literacy. She is also advocated for women's health issues, focusing on heart disease and breast cancer. Laura launched The Heart Truth campaign and the Red Dress project.

Laura has a bachelor's degree in elementary education and a master's degree in library science. She launched the first National Book Festival in 2001, and it continues to this day. She was a key advocate of "No Child Left Behind Act."

After the attacks on September 11, 2001, she was the first First Lady to give the President's weekly radio address, speaking out against the Taliban's oppression of women and children.

During a televised interview in 2000, Laura stated she opposed her husband goal to overturn Roe v. Wade. She stated the country should educate our citizens by teaching abstinence. In 2005, Laura suggested during her travels that her husband should replace Sandra Day O'Connor with another woman. George nominated Harriet Miers and after a lot of criticism, withdrew the nomination and Laura called the criticism sexist.

This is part one of a series of articles about First Ladies and their roles, influences, and ineffectiveness during their tenure in the White House.